Chapter Seven

Ronald kept checking over his shoulder. He told the butler he wanted to see her outside, and so he stood there. The afternoon was drawing to a close, he still could ride his horse for a bit before the whole castle went mad in search of him.

Though they would be busy with preparations for the upcoming ball. It would work in his favor. Would his father be enraged again? Oh why did it matter, he would be locked up in the study learning about former kings before him, how to rule a kingdom, and how every choice he makes has to be well thought out.

All these thoughts brewed in his mind as he waited for her.

It took awhile but she appeared, the side gate used for the servants is where he stood in wait. She came near him, shoulders drawn closer to her chest in protection.

"Am I in trouble?" Her eyes were wide with worry. Her auburn hair was in a loose braid on her shoulder. She looked exhausted. And Ronald just wanted to give her a hug.

Quickly reassuring her, he said, "No." Smiling big, he walked over to her, and grasped her hand. "Come on, I want to go riding with you."

"But, but, your highness I am expected back in the castle no later than ten minutes." Her voice quivered in fear that she would be punished.

"Then I shall be blamed if anyone should say a thing to you." Ronald pulled her after him, she hitched her skirt and soon they were running towards the stables.

"Do you think anyone will know you are with me?" She asked, once more concerned.

"No. And even if they do, does it even matter? Forget about them, let's have fun." Bethany couldn't believe the words coming from his mouth. It was quite audacious.

"Am I truly going to ride with you?" He turned to her. His blonde hair fell in his eyes and he pushed it back behind his ears.

Grinning wide with excitement, he assured her. "Yes of course!"

Her lip quivered, "I'm afraid I don't know how to ride."

"Oh, don't worry, I will teach you. There's not much to it. All you got to know is which direction you want to steer the beast." Ronald was sure she was too nervous to ride herself and decided it was best to ride with her.

"I don't think I'll be able to ride." She fiddled with her hands. Confirming his decision.

"Then you shall ride with me." He marched toward a saddle on a rack, and pulled it off. Walking with it he asked her, "May you open the stable?"

"Yes." She ran towards a favorite horse of his. As if she read his mind.

"We..shall saddle this horse." He said with great effort, as he carried the heavy leather saddle. She tried helping him, which Ronald was most grateful for. "There." When he had successfully placed it on the horse. He huffed a breath, looking at each other they burst out laughing. Look at them both saddling a horse themselves. Tiny as they are.

"We did it!" He exclaimed.

He tightened the billet strap. They were ready to go. "Here, grab my hand." He guided her foot to the stirrup and hoisted her up. He heard a guard on the move. "We have to hurry." He warned.

Effortless, he swung himself onto the saddle behind her. "Cluck cluck." He said. The horse began to move when Ronald gave his command. The horse moved out of the barn and he heard Bethany squeal. Ronald couldn't help but laugh.

"This is so much fun!" Bethany exclaimed. Then the blessed moment came, that Ronald waited for. To hear her laugh.

"It sure is." Smiling to himself, he thought how wonderful it was to hear that sweet sound. They rode towards the meadows on the other side of the castle walls. Greenery and brush passed them. And ahead of them were beautiful trees that swayed in the warm breeze. He sat behind her holding the leash of his horse. Squeezing the horses flanks, they speed towards those trees until the guards could no longer see them. They wouldn't get a good look at who rode off, so Ronald wasn't worried.