Chapter Twenty

Bethany didn't know how much time had passed since she came. After the day she found out she was an illegitimate daughter to the king of Iris, she couldn't think straight.

Every moment she spoke with her mother about her father, played on repeat.

Instead of drowning in the what if's and the what now, she buried herself in the work of cleaning up. The place had finally shaped together to look like a home.

It was just before sunset when she looked out. Bethany would have to hurry, she had need of meats and vegetables for dinner. Packing some coins, and grabbing a basket, she swung about her shoulders a cloak. Strapping on her shoes, she rushed out the door.

The long walk to the market gave her time to enjoy nature without being idle. She watched the tall grass wave and bend in the wind, she breathed in the fresh air. Out here it was wonderful, beautiful. She loved it here.

She was walking up the hill towards the market when a horse behind her rushed past her. The rider waved an apology, Bethany was too breathless from the scare to form a response.

The market was up ahead, she could already smell the pungent smell of fishes, meats, poultry. It still sickened her, but something about it reminded her of home.

A deep longing filled her.

What if she returned? Would the king forbid her?

No. She brushed aside such thoughts. What if she went to her father? The thought of that was just as absurd, she would be thrown out.

There was no other option. This home had been given to her mother by Bethany's father, so she would be untouched here. It would do just fine.

Though a lonely life, it would suffice.

She hoisted her basket up her hip, and began bargaining and buying items she'd run out of.

The owner of one of the markets, a woman she met first upon coming here, was more than eager to catch Bethany up on the latest news that fared from the castle.

She was talking about something relating to the king, and Bethany zoned out as she searched her produce. She was craving some fruit, and it would be delightful to treat herself.

"... it appears ... has died...It's terrible really." Bethany was half listening while she inspected some fruit. It was wilted, she put it down. "Did you hear me?"

Bethany's head came up. "No, I'm sorry. I have to get going, the walk is long, I appreciate the conversation but I really do have to go." She thanked her and walked off. Before she did, Bethany wondered at her wild eyes, as if Bethany had done something absurd. She shrugged it off and set about her walk.

Just on the outskirts of the market, Bethany heard the familiar hooves pounding the ground. She didn't turn, she knew it was just a rider passing by.

Bethany was deep in thought trying to remember what she heard the woman telling her. She couldn't recall.

Then her heart, unbidden, visited thoughts of the prince. Handsome, and beloved by all. It was insanity to think that he loved her. She denied it, but in her heart she wished it was true.

Ears perking, Bethany finally realized that the rider was trotting beside her. Snapping her head to the left of her, the sight of what came next made her drop her basket.

The man up top the horse was hooded, he watched her all this time. A shiver ran through, who was he, what did he want?

Before she could form those thoughts, his hand reached out and snatched her up. Bethany's breath hitched.

Letting out a scream, she tried to fight while she hung by her cloak, then she felt his strong arm wrapped around her waist and hoisted her up.

She kicked and thrashed, "let me go!" She demanded.

He grumbled something and before she could throw another fist, she smelled something foul and then she knew nothing but blackness.

Sagging limp in the rider's lap, she fell into a deep fitful sleep.

Awaking, she felt her whole body sore. The darkness made it hard to see the rider or where they were going, but there was a slight twilight in the sky. Bethany figured she wasn't out for long. It was just sunset. She mustn't be too far from the farm.

Bethany didn't dare move. She had to pretend she was sleeping, until they stopped then that would be her time to make an escape.

Who was he? What did he want with her? What did he drug her with? All these questions threw her into a deeper panic.

The horse slowed and Bethany tilted her head to see where they were at. He had swung her up fully and she was leaning against him. She looked past her cloak that hid her face and to the land before her.

Why was the sun rising? She just fell asleep? Why was the palace in view? Was she back home? She sat up straight.

"You're awake. Good." The gruff voice said to her, she wanted to voice her questions but thought maybe it would be better to see where he would take her.

The sun was now fully up. The mystery rider continued past the town and towards the castle. Bethany stiffened and sat up straighter. What if the King sent his hounds to hunt her down and take her back? Punish her?

"Don't know why he wanted to get you back so bad." The man uttered, with clear distaste. Who wanted to get her back?

She was about to find out.

The horse jostled her, and Bethany felt the deep ache in her bottom. She wanted to get off and stretch.

"I can't sit anymore. Let me down." She put on her most confident tone, hoping he would listen.

"I worked hard to find you, I'm not letting you little rascal get away. You probably don't remember me do you? I'm the one who was the first to catch on that a peasant was in company of a prince." His voice bled venom.

A shiver ran down her spine. He was definitely here to bring her back, she was being punished. Lady of Ascott's promised, and she had been true to her word. Bethany could see her mother now, being kicked out, or worse, punished for raising a daughter like her.

The castle gates opened, and Bethany didn't dare to give him the satisfaction of answering.

"That's what I thought. You remember." His horse trotted to a stop, and he got off. He didn't offer a helping hand to her, so Bethany slid off and followed him.

They were met by Henry. Relief flooded her.

"They found you! Oh the prince will be so pleased to hear of such good news!" He wrapped a blanket around her. "You must be exhausted from your journey, we got to get you cleaned up before you see him."

"The king sought me out to punish me isn't that right?" Bethany prepared herself.

Henry stopped, as his feathers eyebrows crinkled in confusion. "No such thing, everyone was worried about you, even the King of Iris helped searching for you. The prince ordered all available men to search for you."

She wondered why they would send that fool after her.

"I thought I was being kidnapped!" Bethany's voice rose up a notch, the fear and panic returning. "Did you know he drugged me? I thought for sure I wouldn't see the light of day again." She pushed aside a loose strand of bangs. Huffing a sigh, she let the heavy blanket soothe away her worries.

"I knew he shouldn't have been put on the search party, they assured me he's good at searching people out, so we put him on the crew. I will have a word with the prince. Come, your mother waits for you."

Tears pricked and flooded her eyes the moment she saw her. She was home. Running free from Henry's hold, she collapsed into her mother's arms.