Chapter Twenty-Eight

It was the third night on the trip, and Bethany awoke to a howl that caused the hairs on her neck to stand up. She had awoken to it and stayed alert. Trying to hear above the racing of her heart, if the guards where awake.

She sat up with care not to awaken her mother who was asleep beside her. Through the fabric of the tent a small fire lit the silhouettes of three men, and she felt safe enough to attempt going back to sleep.

The morning sun came and the shouts of the guards and carriage drivers awoke her. Her mother was already preparing for the day, braiding her hair, while Bethany rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Good morning sweetheart. I heard you awake through the night. You weren't able to sleep?"

She tried to brush past it, "I'm okay I just woke up to coyotes throughout the night." She shivered just remembering the howls, how close they were. Her mind flashed back to the night she spent in the howled out tree trunk to escape such terrors.

"Thankfully we have amazing gentlemen that care for our safety."

"Yes, I can't imagine what we would do without them." A yawn escaped and Bethany felt the strong urge to stretch. She tried to get her aching muscles to relax, but it wouldn't relent.

"We got only one more day left, sweetheart. Be patient." She read the restlessness off Bethany.

"I know. I just can't take another day of traveling."

Her mother turned fully to face her and reached over to give Bethany's shoulder a squeeze. "Come on, get ready. I will make a meal for all of us before we head out." She got up with effort, and left Bethany to get dressed and ready for another day of traveling.

Bethany ran a comb through her hair quickly. Refusing to spend much time fussing over it when they would be in the confines of a carriage.

Before she knew it the comb got stuck. Yanking, she realized why it was stuck, she had been carelessly brushing, making a worse knot than she began with.

She battled her hair before giving up on it and loosely braiding the mess of hair, giving up all together on the combing. So maybe she needed the help of someone else to manage her mane. She had thick hair that some days felt more of a burden than a blessing. Sighing she threw the braid behind her shoulder and snatched up her walking dress. Tightening the lacing in the front, she adjusted it and reached for her cape set on a small bench near the entry of the tent.

When she got out of the tent, she found the mouth watering aroma of gruel wafting to her nose.

Mother had prepared meals for them even on the road, even though Bethany insisted that they eat what was prepared for them, simple fare of bread, cheese, fruits and wine. But she had ordered them to stop when they passed a village, and buy some ingredients.

The aroma wafted to Bethany's senses, awakening her appetite. They ate while the carriage was prepared. The guards and carriage drivers had already eaten and Bethany was the last to eat. She rushed so they could get on the road again.

It wasn't yet night when they reached the outskirts of the castle. Once they dismounted the carriage, they were ushered into the great hall where servants milled about. Some attended to their belongings, whisking them away to their rooms. Others brought them refreshments.

Gratefully, Bethany accepted. Afterwards, Bethany was itching to stretch her legs, take a walk, and so she asked to be excused. "Mother, I will go outside, I need some fresh air and stretch my legs a bit."

"Very well then. I will be in my room. I do not know if we will see your father today, I'm sure he knows we are from a long trip so don't fret yourself on that. Come join me later for supper."

"Alright, thank you mother." She gave her mother's hand a gentle squeeze. Her mother gave a peck on her cheeks and Bethany later slipped outside. She found a pathway that led to breathtaking gardens, a path lit up with torches, casting a warm hue on the ground. Despite the shiver, and the occasional reminder that a guard followed not too far behind, she was refreshed. Her warm cloak kept her toasty.

She was deep in her thoughts when another guard came up behind them, and reported to her, "My lady, I'm sorry to disturb your walk, but your presence has been requested. Your father awaits you in the sitting room. A lady will accompany you to your room to freshen up before hand." The guard bowed and left back towards the castle entry hall.

Her heartbeat kicked up a notch. Really? Hope sprung up like a fresh spring. She missed him, this was a chance she could connect. Get to know her father better, spend some time with him. She and her mother would be staying for two weeks. Despite her misgivings of the ceremony, she was most excited to be with her father and half sister.

There was a lightness in her step now, as she made her way to the heavy doors, the guard that trailed behind her, walked briskly ahead to catch the door. She still was unaccustomed to it, but she didn't prevent it. For fear that they would see her as rude.

No matter how uncomfortable she was with the position she had come into, she was willing in order to be with the ones she loved most. Even if people cast dirty looks at her, the unknown girl, coming into a position of royalty. Being undeserving in their eyes. No, she wouldn't let them get to her. She would wear her crown with dignity and strength, knowing she has been through it all.

She knew what it was like to be in a needy state. Who but her could better understand the people's plight?

That gave her purpose. And out of that, a dream arose. A dream to bring about a change in their kingdom, bridging the divide between those of a lower class, and that of a higher class.

To be a voice for her people.

With a new air about her, she raised her chin, stood up taller, and walked with more determination. No, she would not shy away, she would take this wonderful and great opportunity that was given, and use it for the good.

"My lady." A woman politely bowed her head. "Follow me." Bethany did, with her thoughts set once more on this evening with her father.