Chapter Sixteen

Amazement, excitement were just a few of the emotions Bethany felt having come to the small village just east of the castle.

It was exhilarating, being free. Though at the same time, fear grew within the depths of Bethany's stomach. Or was that hunger?

She couldn't tell. Rather, she ignored it, because she needed to find a place to sleep for the night. It was either sleep outside somewhere, hide in somebody's stable, or give up the necklace.

The only piece of her father that she had. She looked down at it. Tears swarmed. No she would not give it up. Determined, she tucked it under her green cote. Pulling her cloak closer around her, she walked down Main Street. She wondered where the voices were coming from.

She needed some help so she walked towards the light.

The shopkeeper looked her up and down while four gruff men stopped their drunken laughter immediately, to give her a once over.

"You serve a wealthy family, huh?" She knew she should have worn her simple brown wool dress, not to catch attention.

She gulped, her Adam's apple bobbing. Would they seriously rob her? The only valuables she had were the necklace and a few coins to survive on. Not much.

"If you may be as kind as to direct me towards this address, it would be greatly appreciated." She hid the fear in her voice behind a façade, as she showed the slip of paper to the shopkeeper.

She would have to travel to the outskirts and then find somewhere to rest. Staying here might be too dangerous for a young woman on her own.

These men made her uncomfortable, and she was now regretful, speaking to them. The shopkeeper gave a malicious smile. And her heartbeat was beating wild.

She was about to apologize and back up when one of the older men in the group drew near to her.

"Let me see." She was terrified but nevertheless she allowed him to come closer. He studied the paper, then he raised an eyebrow.

"That's a well established village. It would be that way." He pointed towards the green hills towards her left. "Three days travel. You would have to follow the stream, and it should lead you right to the village. Though it is not a journey a young woman such as yourself should make." He warned her, his furry brows knit in disapproval.

"I will be just fine, I appreciate the directions." She raised her chin.

"Stay the night, get some rest before heading out, there are wild animals, you shall be much better off doing such a trip during the sunlight hours." Wild animals? Her stomach dropped.

She had a terrifying experience once when a wild boar. There was no desire to repeat that experience.

He echoed her thoughts. At the mention of wild animals she cowarded. Should she make the trip? Yes daylight hours would make her feel safer, but what about at night? Sleeping out in the wild.

She could very easily stay here, find an establishment to work for, have room and board.

But she knew that she had to go there. There was no other option. Here she would be easily found, and Ronald would most likely drag her back, kicking and screaming, he wouldn't care. Bethany was sure of it.

She had to go far away.

"You are a thing of beauty." One piped up. The others started making jokes at her expense, and she let them know she didn't approve, scowling deeply.

Turning to the older man, "I appreciate your kindness." She tucked the paper back into her sack.

"Sorry about these ol' drunkards. They mean you no harm I promise. If you need boarding, you can sleep out in the shack." He pointed towards the back of this establishment.

"I will find other arrangements." She respectively curtsied in thanks, and walked off before she allowed her anger to get the better of her.

She was itching to tell them a thing or two. But as she learned just today, her unruly tongue got her into trouble.

She walked back in the direction of the castle. She could see it from here. Her heart filled with longing, and her chest tightened.

Not a day had passed, and she already longed for her mother, even her disapproving sister. But more so Ron.

There was no denying the attraction that arose. Despite how hard Bethany fought those feelings. So long as she lived in those quarters, she would be getting in the way of Kathrine and Ronalds relationship.

Just the mention of her name, she recalled the beautiful blonde with porcelain skin, and eyes that read into your soul. She had a quiet and soft side about her. No wonder Ronald wanted to marry her.

Unlike Bethany who didn't hide her opinions.

Despite his declarations, Bethany didn't believe a word of it. She was a servant, and he will be king. There was no way she would be ruining his reputation.

Her determination grew, she turned left at the end of the street and walked the path that led away from this village, and more importantly, far away from the castle.

With every step she took, her resolve grew. Yes she would miss them. Miss them all, but she was going to move forward, make a life for herself outside of the wings of her mother, where she was sheltered for so long. Her sister was getting married, and soon it would be Bethany's turn. But she didn't want to marry anyone else.

A few tears sprinkled on her face, but she realized it wasn't tears. Looking up at the blackened sky she felt more. Rain.

No. Not now. She groaned.

Walking further down the path she finally reached the forest, keeping her somewhat sheltered. She continued, no rain would stop her. She could barely see in front of her because the darkness of night had fallen.

She stopped and sat down.She needed light, fire. Her mother once taught her, but it was so long ago. All she knew was it required two sticks. She felt for branches that were dry. Then the directions came back to her now. Bethany took the two sticks and rubbed them together until friction would eventually create sparks.

Rubbing the two sticks together, she was growing frustrated. But then after the tenth try a small spark lit up, to her dismay it fuzzed out before she could react.

Not giving up, she carried on. She created more friction, this time the fire was stronger, she let it grow on the stick. She slowly waved it around until it grew.

"Woohoo!" She yelled into the night. "I did it!"

Her excitement faded when she heard rustling in the woods beyond her. She grew deathly quiet, she strained to hear what kind of creature it was. But it must've understood that she grew quiet, and did the same. She was at a disadvantage, alone, exposed, fire burning brightly letting the animal get a good glimpse of her.

Great, she would be the animals dinner.

Blood pulsed in her ears. Whoosh, whoosh. So much so she strained to hear.

Only the crackling of the fire and her blood pulsating in her ears, was all that was heard. She quietly gathered her sack of clothing, and the few items of food she had with her in a cheese cloth, tucking it into the leather belt.

Gathering the courage, she rose as silently as she could. She had to move on, she had to keep going. Although now in the forest, she was getting lost in which direction she needed to keep going. She could no longer see the castle as a reference point.

There was no going on. She walked searching for shelter, far away from where the sounds came from. Bethany found a large tree with deep roots exposed, an opening lead into the ground. A shelter. Perfect, she thought.

Before she crawled in to burrow there, she created a fire just outside of the tree, to keep away the animals.

Crawling under into the small opening, she curled up into a ball and tried to sleep. Bethany shivered violently, mostly out of fear, she pulled her cloak as a shield and blanket.

She shut her eyes, but sleep would not come.