Chapter Twenty-One

"Your majesty, it's time." The day of his father's funeral came. Dragging himself through the day, he was barely there. In a week he lost the girl he loved, along with his father.

His mother wept silently, kept to herself, and scarcely ate.

He'd be lonely, however since his fathers death, he was drowning in meetings and plans for the coronation.

His announcement to the royal court had been today morning, and now they were going to go through the streets with his fathers coffin, in a ceremony. Then the burial would follow, afterwards a banquet in his father's honor.

Dusting his coat, and fixing his hair, he took one last look out of his window to the gardens below. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. Coming into his role of king. Swallowing a lump that expanded in his throat, he cleared his throat.

"Your majesty, are you ready?" Henry waited patiently with the royal mantle. Draping it on Ronalds shoulder, it settled like a heavy blanket. Making his heart sink further.

The burden of the kingdom was in his hands. A week from this day, he will be crowned king. To answer Henry's question, no he wasn't ready.

But he wasn't going to tell him that. "Yes, get the carriage ready. Is the horse ready to ride?" His mother would ride with his father in the carriage and he would ride ahead on his decorated horse. The one his father once upon a time rode.

"Yes, they are all waiting for you."

Down the grand castle staircase, he saw his mother in her mourning gown. She seemed smaller somehow. Nearing her, he slid his arm through the crook of her elbow and gently guided her outside to the waiting carriage.

He gave her arm a pat. "Are you going to be okay mother?" He asked her privately. He glanced towards her when she didn't answer.

"With time my son, with time." She walked silently the rest of the way, servants jumped in to assist the Queen up. And Ronald trudged forward to his horse.

Saddling up, he adjusted his heavy outer coat so that it splayed out behind Ronald. The servants helped adjust him, and he was ready.

"Let's go." He made a gesture and by his command the guards followed with the carriage in tow. The town swarmed with whomever could make the journey, from many different towns and lands all over the kingdom. They bowed their heads with respect when the funeral procession passed by.

Haunting music from the procession played in his mind even after it ended. They changed and gathered for the burial.

Standing before his fathers burial site, he froze up.

You're going to be crowned king. Find your voice, you're no longer a boy. He chided himself. His father would've told him the whole kingdom is looking up to him.

Clearing his throat, he addressed the crowd. "People of Eldore, we gather here to mourn the loss of a great king. Many of you have known my father as one of the leading kings in the transformation of Eldore. He has done a great many things to help push this kingdom on the maps. Many kingdoms envy us because of what he's done." He lowered his head. "He had his moments, as do we all, but in everything he put his kingdom first. Even to a fault. He will be greatly and sorely missed by all." He continued on with the speech they've prepared.

Once finished, his eyes beheld all who'd gathered. Princes, kings from neighboring kingdoms, lords and lady's, the people of Eldore, then his eyes scanned to the back, where the loyal servants and butlers, advisors and kings men where his eyes landed on her.

He froze once more. This time for a different reason. A thousand thoughts ran through his mind.

Someone whispered something and Ronald ignored him. "Your majesty, the priest would like to pray for him now." He said again. Once out of his stupor, he stepped aside and let the priest come forth.

Never in his life was he ever more grateful to see those eyes among the crowd. Bethany Bolace was back.

The service ended and the servants made their way back into the castle grounds, and with every fiber of his being, he tried not to run after her.

His mother touched his arm once they were inside the banquet hall. "My dearest son, where did those eyes wander off to? You seemed worlds away."

"She's here. She's back." Hope lit up the dark parts of his soul, even lighting up his eyes.

She knew whom Ronald spoke of. Smiling a sad smile, she petted his cheek. "You will not marry anyone else but her, you promise? There is no one more suitable for you than her. If anyone can pull you out of the darkness like that, then they are meant to be."

Placing his own hand upon hers, he moved it to where he could kiss the palm of her hand. "Thank you mother, for being so supportive."

"Before you run off," she said, knowing exactly what Ronald would do, "I wanted to tell you, your father wrote this letter to you. You can read it later." She placed a parchment paper in his hands, clasping it with her own. "I didn't know of it, until they went through his belongings."

His eyes were now glued to the paper. He opened it up, not waiting another moment.

My dearest son,

I have been too harsh with you of late. I thought I was doing right when I told you to marry Kathrine. When I saw you with Bethany, I knew I was wrong. Though I was too prideful, too stuck in my ways, to tell you you were right. I couldn't give up the way I was raised to believe. You, my son, had the strength to stand up for what you believed in. Not caring about anyone else.

My son, had I done that with my own father, maybe I would've turned out a different king. Yes our kingdom has flourished, but at what cost? Just as I have many friends in high places, so do I enemies. But you, my son, are far more wise than I.

I write this in hopes that you can find her. I had only received a scathing report by Lady of Ascott's, that she had sent her running, and I knew that you would be devastated. It was not my doing, believe me.

I hope this letter reaches you in better spirits, and I hope that we can resolve our relationship.

With this letter, I entrust you to make a choice of your own, whom you marry. No matter the title.

Sincerely,
Father

When he finished reading the letter, he found his mother gone.

Across the room he saw her milling about, speaking with the guests. He swallowed hard, waiting until she turned, he thanked her silently and disappeared into the background.

Ronald sought her out. Before it was too late. For he did not know if she was back for good.

Knowing that his father had, in his last days, approved of the two of them being together, Ronald was sure more than ever that the rightful role of queen would go to Bethany Bolace.

That much he was certain.

But one thing he couldn't be certain of, if she would still have him as hers. After all the things she's been through, he wasn't sure she would.

There was but one hope he had, that she would remember all the good times they had, every day they would spend sneaking off, forgetting the world behind them.

If there was anything that would remind her of that, it would be the book that began it all. Making a quick detour, he wound up in the grand library. His eyes scanned the shelf, and found it. The original. The one that brought them together. The nights they spend pouring over the book, as he taught her word by word to read.

It brought him great joy.

Memories flooded him, as he pulled it from the shelf and ran to the secret servants staircase behind the library shelves. Making quick steps he made his way down until he reached the bottom.