Chapter Twenty-Two

There were moments in Bethany's life that were too good to be true, as though she were a character in one of the books she read.

This was one of those moments.

King Fredrick sat across from Bethany, beside her mother. Staring at her as though she were some rare creature.

Breaking the silence, her mother spoke first, "I wasn't sure if I could tell you." She looked to the King for support. "Or when would be the right time."

Fredrick turned to her, "I was afraid of what could happen, what the kingdom would do if they found out I have an illegitimate firstborn daughter. We kept it a secret, though we should have never kept it from you."

Bethany kept studying this great man who she adored since childhood, who came over to the castle of the neighboring kingdom often. She thought it was only because of the engagement between Prince Ronald and Princess Kathrine. But it was more than that.

Something caught her eye. Her gaze landed on a small emblem on the king's sash, with the same four leaf clover as her own necklace. Her hand instinctively went to her chest, clasping the necklace in between her fingers, she fiddled with it.

She recalled how heartbroken she was when she had lost it, not too long after meeting the prince for the first time. And the great joy when he brought it back to her. It was all she had of her father.

"When I heard you had disappeared I knew it was time I spoke with you. In all the years of getting to know you, I got to know a real true precious jewel of a person. I should have stood up for you, all the times my wife had treated you poorly. I'm ashamed for keeping silent."

"Did she know?" She kept flipping the four leaf clover over and over again. Of course Lady of Ascott's knew. She looked like a mirror image of the King.

"My wife figured it out. Even before you were born, she found where I visited and found your mother pregnant. Putting two and two together, she figured it out. Your mother and I came to an agreement that she would travel to Eldore and reside there, and I would secretly disguise my visits as part of diplomacy between our countries. But in truth, I would be able to get to know you."

Bethany was about to ask why he would stay with such a woman but couldn't very well be so forward as to ask such a question.

"Nevertheless, here we are. Now you know the truth." His emerald green eyes spoke volumes. Sorrows, regrets, and unspoken words he held onto for years.

She could scarcely believe it. Bethany Bolace was the first born child of King Fredrick. And Kathrine, who she desired to be like, was her half sister. It was enough to make her think she was sleeping, and this was all a dream. A world where she is almost royalty and a prince was, in the past, in love with her.

No, surely this must be a dream.

"Your majesty, I found out from a kind lady who lived next to the home that you bought for my mother. She told me all about it."

Her mother spoke out, "You must have been so shocked. I should've told you before you left. Maybe that would have caused you to stay. I was so worried." Her mother's face was filled with contrition.

Nothing would've kept her from leaving. She was getting in the way of everything, including Ronald and Kathrine's engagement.

But there was no denying it. What she did, leaving without saying a word to anyone, was disagreeable.

Bethany looked over to her mother. "I'm sorry I disappeared like that. I never meant to make you sick with worry. I just couldn't bear having you lose your livelihood because of me and my careless actions."