Epilogue

As I walked down the aisle with a hand around my father's arm, I came to a realization. All the confusion and frustration I felt wasn't about me forgiving Ren for what he did or didn't do. It was about giving myself a chance to believe in Ren that scared me. 

Not the game Ren, but the Ren I've come to cherish and love throughout the years. By this point, these 'characters' I thought I knew were nowhere to be seen. These people wish for my well being as much as I wish for theirs. And yet, I still managed to be unable to fully trust them because of my own insecurities. 

Being so caught up in the concept of a script going off course, it slipped my mind that life wouldn't have gone according to a pre-written scenario in the first place. An endless list of possibilities, 'what ifs' are presented to us each day. At the end of the day, you can only choose one. 

There might come a day the world chooses to toy with us again, and Ren might go on a different path than mine; his conscious choice or otherwise. I might end up running straight into my demise. I might regret ever making that decision to live this life years long ago. 

But those are all another set of 'what ifs' that would waste days full of doubt and unease. Everyday we make decisions that lead us down one path after another. I'll make the decision that makes me the most happy. 

Father placed my hand into Ren's. The look in his eyes made me feel like I had made the right choice. His hand in mine, mine in his. I will protect him, and he will protect me. If the future ever gets rough, I know I'll hold this moment dear to my heart. It just felt right.

Fin.