Chapter 31: A Twisting Plot Pt. 2 (Alexander POV)

The school year had finally started, and I was finally able to meet her. Just as I imagined, she grew up to be a beautiful and educated young woman.

Since birth, my guardians have always wished for me to succeed in whatever I do. First in anything and everything. I don't mind their strictness; rather I feel it quite comforting to know how much they wish to prepare me to be the future leader of our empire. Because of that, I've been keeping tabs on other future rulers as long as I can remember. One of them is the crown princess of the Kingdom of Floria, Liliane Mary Acton. Rumoured to be a gifted child in many fields, she's obviously come up as our potential queen, but unfortunately, she's already been declared as the ruler for her own kingdom.

I do wish I could've said more to her on our first meeting, but it appears I'm not very good with social interactions. I ought to fix that if I'm going to become a leader of an entire population.

Well nevertheless, the fact I was able to meet her made my day. I'm excited to see what she is capable of in our future classes. Hopefully I can strike up some conversation with her as well. For the benefit of our empire, of course.

As I pondered over such simple thoughts, I see the prince of Aquamerria sitting in a tree, looking over into the courtyard.

Quite peculiar.

"Sir Ren, may I ask what you are doing?"

I ask as I approach him. Up close, his hair was dark as the night sky, fluttering gently in the cool breeze. To be entirely honest, I am a little entranced.

"Uh-I'm...looking for birds?"

he answers, his hand naturally finding the back of his neck.

"Why is it that your response sounds like a question?"

"No, really?"

"Yes?"

"?"

"?"

We exchange confused looks and he starts to smile, then giggle, then laugh. I feel my chest tighten when I see him do so.

"You know what, you can just call me Ren."

He swings upside down from the branch he was sitting on, does a small summersault in midair, and lands on the ground. He offers me his hand, which I take (albeit awkwardly) and shakes it firmly. I try to calm my heartbeat which seems to be increasing by the second. Who knew I was so inadequate in interacting with others?

"Can...I call you Alex?"

"Of course."

"Well, Alex. I need to move along and meet my fiancée, but I'll see you around!"

He turns on his heel and headed towards the courtyard. I know it's an invasion of privacy, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I climb up the tree that Ren was sitting on before, looking into the courtyard. I see Miss Liliane walking out of a...storage room? She seems quite upset. From where I am I can't hear what going on over there, but I can see her mouth moving and performing a spell. I can also feel the pulse of her magic all the way here.

A little after the spectacle ends, Ren enters the courtyard. Miss Liliane looks startled, and they seem to be disputing something. The princess turns her back to the prince, and they seem to be going their separate ways. Ren heads back towards the cafeteria, and Miss Liliane seems to be gazing at the storage room once again. I wonder what is so interesting about that little shed? I might as well find out when I have the chance.

I quickly hide into the shadows of the trees as Ren comes back, with grim expression. It sends a shiver down my spine. What on earth happened between the two of them? He doesn't seem to notice me as he storms past, much to my luck. I contemplate to whether I should go talk to him, but I ultimately decide to stay in the tree. I probably shouldn't be poking my head where it doesn't belong.

But my eyes wander back to the princess by the shed, now sitting helplessly on the ground. After looking around to see if Ren was still around, I jump down from the tree and walk over to where the princess was sitting.

"Liliane? Are you alright?"

"Does it look like I look alright?"

She responds with a rather snappy attitude. But right after those words leave her mouth, she covers it up with her hand. An apologetic expression adorns her rosewood colored eyes, as her hands shake.

My eyes immediately go towards the shed like storeroom, trying to find a hint of mana around it. But with no avail, I couldn't find a single trace of it; even the magic Liliane casted earlier.

I turn back to her, holding out my hand. She takes it gratefully, getting up from the ground.

"Alex, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean what I said just now. I—"

"No, no think nothing of it. I'll be heading back to the dining hall now; would you like to join me?" I ask, hoping for a 'yes' from the lady.

"I'm sorry, Alex. I really wish I could, but I'm not feeling all too well as of the moment. I think I'll cool my head here for the rest of the break. Thank you for inviting me, though."

"That's too bad. Maybe next time." I am a little disappointed, but maybe this is for the best. The prince seemed to be heading for the dining hall anyways. I bid farewell to the princess and I find my way back into the institute. With one more retreating glance towards Liliane, I close the door to the courtyard.