Chapter 34: Magic

A few weeks had passed after finding the catalyst for the disaster to come, but surprisingly enough our school days were continuing on undisturbed. We were able to settle into our busy school schedules rather easily, and everything seems to be going smoothly. The headmaster had written back to me, and informed me that he assigned the reasearchers working at our academy to look into the matter. On top of that, we've recently gotten notice that there was a mandatory self-defence class every other day after school that students had to particiate in. 

I was worried that the headmaster wouldn't take me seriously, but it appears there was no need. After all, considering that some of the most renowed scholars lived on this island, it should be easy to know what is dangerous and what is not. 

Master Darius was busy due to unforseen circumstances for the past few weeks, so I havn't been able to get my lessons with him until today. Since my classes with my masters are in the afternoon, my classes for the day were done. 

The masters at the academy have their own office and research lab, and we were studying in Master Darius' lab today.

"Now, I believe you have already learned the basics of magic at least, no?"

Master Darius starts, shuffling a few papers around on his desk. 

"Yes, Master Darius. I learned a lot from my previous teacher, Ms. Krayla."

"Oh, her? Yes, she is quite the genius. What rank are you at right now?"

"Currently, I am at a BI in my earth magic."

"I see...that is pretty good for your age. Have you unlocked your powers for your blessings?"

"Yes, I have already gone up to the ninth tier of my light, eighth of my fire, and seventh of my darkness blessings."

"Very good. Have you tried learning other elemental type magics?"

"No? I was taught that I could only wield the magical attribute I was born with along with the attributes gained by blessing."

Master Darius chuckles softly.

"That is not necessarily the whole truth. While it is true that whatever elemental attribute you're born with will be the strongest magic you can conjure, it is not impossible to learn the other types."

Master Darius rolled out blackboard from the corner of the room and started drawing a diagram. There were six symbols lined in a circle, all of which I've seen before. The first symbol at the top of the circle was ∀; then going clockwise, there was ∋, ß, ∂, Ω and ∑. These were the symbols of the elements. ∀ was the symbol of fire, ∋ was water, ß was light and ∂ was wind. Ω was earth and ∑ was darkness.

"As you can see, there is an element on the other side of the circle for each attribute. Fire has wind, water has earth and light has darkness. Each of those pairs are composed of elements that compliment each other. It is also the second element you are most adept at. For you, your second most adept element is water."

He started drawing a second, bigger circle around the one he just drew. There were six, new symbols that were drawn in the windows of the elements.

"These symbols that I just drew, do you recognize them?"

"No, master."

"Can you guess what they represent?"

"The sub elements?"

"Correct. These symbols represent the sub elements of ice, healing, lightning, sound, illusion and charm magic. Do you know where these originated?"

I pondered a bit, searching my knowledge in magic. But I could not find anything that could explain the phenomena. I shook my head.

"No, I'm afraid not."

"The origin of the sub elements were the combination of the main attributes. Fire and water produced ice magic from manipulating heat away from the water. Light and water produced healing from the combination of holy light mixing into the flowing nature of the water element. Light and wind created lightning, wind and earth created sound, earth and darkness created illusion and darkness and fire created charm."

He started labeling the symbols and wrote some notes on the board. I copied the whole diagram and his notes on a piece of paper, along with my own notes on what I understood so far.

"Now, from all these sub-elements, which do our think you are most suited for?"

"Ice, healing, illusion and sound?"

"Correct; as you an earth-water mage, those three sub-elements will be your strongest."

"Are you planning to teach me all of these sub-elements?"

"Is that even a question, my dear?"

Master Darius says, with an ominous smile on his face.

—————

For the rest of the evening, he taught me ice, healing, illusion, and sound magic in a sparta manner. I can't say it was the best experience I've had. Learning the sub-elements were hard; they were difficult to control and it was hard to please Master Darius. I got sort of a grasp on sound magic, but even then I couldn't do a simple rank 1 spell. 

Defeated for the day, I retired early and went back to the dorms.