Chapter 33: Letters

"-li. Lili. Wake up." I hear a familiar voice calling out my name softly, along with a hand nudging my shoulder gently.

I let out a small yawn as a sit up from the uncomfortable stool I was sitting on, and look over to the person who woke me up.

"Had a good nap?" he chuckles, stroking the top of my head affectionately. I laugh along, answering that I did.

"What time is it right now? Did you just wake up?" I ask, looking for a clock on the walls of the room.

"It's 5pm. I woke up around an hour ago." Ren answers, after checking his pocket watch.

"5pm? You could've woken me up when you did!" I pout, playfully jabbing his shoulder.

"You seemed so peaceful; you were snoring away." he smiles, but it looks a little strained. He also looks a little pale.

"Are you okay? You don't look so good."

"I'm fine. I think I'm just a little tired. Do you want to grab something to eat from the cafeteria then go back to the dorms?"

"Sounds like a plan." We both get up and head for the door, bags in hand. The walk to the cafeteria is unusually silent.

"Re—"
"Lili—"

""You go first.""

""No, you.""

""Okay, I'll go.""

""Wait."" A silence follows, then a snicker, then a giggle. Soon enough, we're both laughing at our own ridiculousnesses. After we calmed down, I took one of his hands in mine.

"I'm sorry. I said things I didn't mean; I never wanted to hurt you. I don't know what came over me at the courtyard. I'm so sorry, Ren." I apologize, lowering my head to him. He lifts my chin and gives me a small peck.

"I'm sorry too."

—————

After eating a quick meal in the cafeteria, Ren and I walked back to the dorms together. We talked about what happened ealier today, and ended up apologizing to one another again. But after that walk, my heart felt much lighter than before. It might just be my wishful thinking, but I felt much more confident about the event that would inevitably happen later this year.

Once we reached the dorms, Ren pulled me into a warm hug. 

"Something wrong?" I ask. 

"No, just wanted to say that I love you." he said, giving me a kiss on the forehead. I was left a little speechless, and I felt my face heat up.

"I love you too, Ren." I manage to pull myself together and pull him into a kiss. We just stood there for a while, in each other's arms, appreciating the warmth we receive from one another. After a sweet moment, we were about to retire to our rooms. 

"Oh, wait I have something I want to give you." I rushed into my room and got the protective earrings my mother gave me. I handed one side to Ren. His ears weren't pierced so he couldn't wear them, but the protective charm should still work as long he held onto it. 

"Make sure you keep this with you as all times. One earring provides one protective charm. I'm not too sure about the specifics, but it should keep you safe from most things."

"Why are you giving this to me? You should keep both."

"No, I want you to keep it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you."

"Now its my turn to ask if something's wrong. Is this about me fainting? Because I'm completely fine now. You don't have to worry."

"No, it's not about anything that happened today...Could you, just, hold on to it? For me?" I plead. I'm sure the charm on these earrings won't protect him from much; its just for my peace of mind.

"Alright, I'll hold onto it. For you." he said, carefully wrapping the earring in his handkerchief and put it in his pocket. 

"Anything else, princess?" he asks, smiling gently. 

"No, nothing else. Thanks, Ren."

"Of course. Goodnight, Lili."

"Goodnight, Ren."

Once I lock the door, I promptly go over to my desk and start writing some letters. One for father, one for mother, and one to the headmaster of the academy.

The one for my father is just updating him on Lucas's stand in the matter, and the new information he provided to me today. I'm sure father is already taking precautions, but it's better safe than sorry. I thought it would be a good idea to tell father about the seed earlier today, but I realize now that it might not be the best. If our kingdom gets involved in this event, it's putting in too many unknown variables to this event; I won't be able to expect what will happen. Hopefully the precautions I make with the school will be enough. 

Mother's letter is just for her peace of mind, catching her up on the events that happened today. Minus the glowing gem in the storage room.

Lastly, I write a letter to the headmaster. Although the catastrophe would be inevitable, it would be best to prepare. I informed the headmaster in the letter about "the weird magic pulse" I found in the storage room, and that I masked it with my magic. I might get in trouble for using magic on an unknown, potentially dangerous object, but it was the only way to hide it from potentially coming students. If the students heard about this ominous thing and told their parents, it would result in international chaos. Hopefully with this he can implement some precautions in the curriculum, or get some more hidden guard stationed around the school. A lot of people's lives were taken because we were unprepared and short handed, after all.

After signing them all, I put them into their respective envelopes and put them off to the side. I'll ask the secretary in the office tomorrow to send them for me.

I stretch my arms and glance at the clock. It's still 7pm, and curfew is at 9pm. Maybe I can go to the office now. It's better for these letters to arrive sooner anyways.

I grab a shawl to provide some warmth and leave my room with the three letters in hand.

Once I reach the office, I go over to the secretary's desk.

"Good evening. I'd like to send some letters, please." The secretary leafs through a few papers and turns to me. With a smile, she answers back.

"Of course. Could I have your name miss?"

"Liliane Acton."

"Thank you. Where will these letters be off to?"

"These two are for the King and Queen of Floria, and this one is for the headmaster." I place the three envelopes on the secretary's desk.

"Perfect. That'll be all from me. The letters will be sent off first thing in the morning; and I shall give the letter to the headmaster as soon as possible. Is there anything else I can do for you, Miss Liliane?" she smiles, taking the letters and putting them in a neat pile at the side of her desk.

"No, that was everything. Thank you." I thank her and turn around to leave, happily returning to the dorm. After all that happened today, I needed a good rest.