Chapter 36: The Attack

The academy was in utter chaos. Screams of students and teachers were everywhere, and roars of rampaging magical beasts could be heard left and right. Swarms of students were rushing to the saferoom in the basement as they were taught, but Liliane was running through the halls trying to find her fiancé.

As she ran through the halls, her mind was blank with only one thought in her mind. She aimlessly ran from classroom to classroom, hoping to find the Aquamerrian prince. The shrieks and warnings of danger fell to a deaf ear. She was unable to think clearly at all. 

However on the academy grounds, there was one person thinking with a clear mind. It was the very prince Liliane was looking for. Unbeknownst to him, the protective earrings hidden in his handkerchief had activated, clearing his mind for a short period of time. 

He opened every classroom door, trying to catch a glimpse of that specific shade of pink. He saw Clara leisurely sitting down in one of the classrooms; he was about to shout at her to leave immediately, but the anxiety in his heart made him sprint to the next room without saying a word. 

The hidden guards the headmaster stationed were holding up well since their numbers had multiplied after the headmaster had received Liliane's letter. Even so, the beasts were difficult to subdue, and a couple got into the academy grounds. 

Screams of a couple of students could be heard in the garden, and one could be recognized as Flora's, the girl Liliane had met at the bookstore. Flora and a couple of other girls were cowering in fear in the face of a humongous tiger-looking magical beast. 

The beast roared, enjoying the hunt the academy was providing. It was ready to pounce and sevour the poor girls, but a blob of pink passed him in the corner in his eye. A sudden bloodthirst was woken within, determined to hunt the pink-haired human that just passed by.

The beast could no longer see or hear the girls he was just about to eat. With no interest left at all, the tiger turned around and followed the trail of the princess. He caught up to her shortly, cornering her into the the coutyard. 

His crazed, red eyes gleamed in pleasure as he saw the girl cower in fear. Liliane's knees buckled under her, and her hands wouldn't stop shaking. With her trembling hands, she unsheathed her father's rapier. The beast growled, happy to see his prey putting up a fight. It would make it all the more fun. 

Liliane was terrified. In the midst of running away from the beast, the intense fear she felt forcefully cleared her mind, allowing her to think a little. However, it did no good for her as she could not think straight with the beast thrice her size pouncing at her. It did not help either that the beast in front of her was the exact beast of her nightmares, the one who tore her from limb to limb. 

The setting was exaclty the same. Piecing bloodshot eyes, and white and black striped fur stained in blood. Lifeless bodies of student decorated the background, pools of blood beneath them. Nausea rose up inside of her, stirring her stomach. 

Her hands trembled even more, tightly gripping her rapier. 

. . .

The halls were filled with students running all over the place, trying to get to the basement as quickly as possible. I should do the same, but I can't do so until I find that fiancée of mine. The unsettling feeling I woke up with this morning was amplified, and I couldn't shake it off even when I tried. The fog interfering with my thoughts suddenly cleared away once I had a fleeting glimpse of that nightmare I had that day in the infirmary. I can't let anything happen to Lili.

"Ren, I'm scaredddd."

But for whatever reason, Miss Clara seems to be following me. I think she saw me when I opened the door to the classroom she was in, but what in her right mind is making her follow me? I'm going in the complete opposite direction of the basement. 

"Miss Clara, I'm going to be looking for Liliane. You should head to the basement first. It's dangerous to stay up here."

"It's alright; you'll protect me, right?"

My fists clenched in frustration as she said those words. Although I was quite ready to vent my anger towards her, my mouth zipped tight and the words got caught in my throat. Wanting not to waste any time, I ran towards the courtyard. That's the only place I haven't checked yet.

"Of course, Miss Clara. I will always be by your side."

Chills went down my spine as I heard my own voice says those words. I quickly covered my mouth, wondering why I had said such a thing.

"Oh my, Ren. Don't you have a Liliane?"

"She is nothing but an eyesore, Clara. You are the one I truly lo-"

I quickly bit down on my tongue before I could say any more. My feet stopped in its tracks and faced the girl. Was I going mad from the stress? 

Miss Clara smiled and approached me. I took a step back. She frowned.

"Why are you backing away, Ren? You were about to say I'm the one you love, right? Not Liliane. Come on, say it."

Her eyes glowed a mysterious light and my mouth was about to move on its own again. I covered my mouth before I said anything stupid. Miss Clara's frown was even more apparent.

"Ren. Say it. Now."

The intensity of the urge to say "I love you," was stronger and I could barely hold on to my sanity. Was she using magic on me? When I was just about to give in to the magic, I could hear the sound of glass breaking. It was the earring. The earring Lili had given me months ago had broken, still in the handkerchief in my pocket. 

The intense desire I felt earlier had snapped, and the magic had been broken. I thanked Lili's mother in my heart, and I rushed towards the courtyard. 

. . .

I felt the earring on my left ear break, and my heart sank. Did something happen to Ren? My head was filled to the brim with anxiety, and my heart was beating a million miles per minute. I barely parried the incoming claw that came swinging at me. I shook my head to try to get myself out of my negative headspace. I need to focus.

"Liliane!"

A high pitched voice came from behind. I turned around and saw Clara and Ren standing there. Pictures of my nightmare flashed before my eyes, and my body froze in place. 

"Look out!" 

Ren yelled, and my attention snapped back to the beast now behind me. I tried to dodge, but its claw was faster. It tore up my right arm, and I was forced to drop my rapier. 

"Ugh...it hurts like hell."

I held my arm in pain, trying to stop the bleeding but I couldn't. It hurt too much to touch it, let alone put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. The pain was dizzying, and I almost fell to the ground. I paled when I saw my arm there, still holding onto my rapier. 

I didn't let go of my rapier; that was the feeling of my entire arm coming off. My knees lost all its power and I dropped in place. I felt the urge to throw up. A creeping fear appeared in my heart, making me turn around. He's still there, right?

Tears trickled down my face. His arms were around hers, leading her away from me. He looked back, but I couldn't see his face from the tears blinding my sight. The murky feeling in my head was coming back, and Liliane's emotions overwhelmed me. 

"Ren! Please, don't leave me! I-I'm scared! I-I d-d-don't want to d-d-die!"

I yell and shout, sounding more desperate than I had imagined. He still keeps walking. I could feel the beast behind me breathing heavily, no doubt excited for its next meal. For the first time in a while, I remembered Kaede. I remember, this was exactly how I felt when I died. Regret, despair, and the intense resentment I felt against the world I hid away in my heart. 

I almost start laughing. The last 16 years of my second life were all for naught. All that preparation led to nothing. In the end, I'm still unable to fight for my life.

I am really stupid, aren't I?