Chapter 20: The Day Before

4 years passed by like an instant. It was the day before my 14th birthday. Tomorrow, it will be my debutant ball; the day after, my engagement party and the day after that, my coronation as Crown Princess. It was going to be a busy week.

Regarding my studies, they've all progressed nicely. I've officially graduated all my educational and artistic classes. All that's left is my 'Queen's Training' and directly learning from father about governing a whole country. My training is over as well. I've mastered the sword, bow and axe on top of the spear, staff and rapier that I mastered in the first few years.

I was walking through the halls, thinking of what I should do today. Since it is my debutante ball tomorrow, I got the day free to myself.

"Lili. Good morning."

My thoughts were interrupted as a familiar voice rang behind me accompanied with a kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, Ren. Good to see you again."
I said with a smile, and gave him a kiss as well.

"You're in a good mood today. Did something amazing happen lately?"

I pondered for a while.

"Maybe."

As Ren looked confused, I wandered my eyes over him closely.

...

Yup. Dangerous. This is really unfair. I know he's supposed to be a capture target, but he's growing more and more handsome every time I meet him! He's getting bolder too. On my twelfth birthday, he kissed me on the cheek for the first time with a tomato red face. It was really cute. Now, he kisses me on the cheek every time I meet him with no embarrassment at all! I guess that's better than getting embarrassed all the time, but part of me still wants that super bashful cute prince back!!! Sometimes I kiss him back on the cheek when I'm in a good mood, but he doesn't waver at all!

"Lili?"

"Huh? Oh. Right. What bring you here?"

"Well, is it weird for me to come congratulate my fiancé for her birthday?"

I glare at him. He chuckles.

"I know that already. You always do this every year! I meant, why are you here a day early? You always come a few hours before my birthday party. Which I'm sure you know, is tomorrow."

"Oh I don't know, maybe I just wanted to see you."

He closed in, pulling my chin up closer to his face. Curses those boy genes. He's only 14 and he's already taller than me. I thought for sure that we'd be at least the same height for another year or so.

...

"Wai..."

Why is he closing in?! Wait! Wait! Time out! I quickly put my hands on his chest, trying resist. I can't. My arms and legs are going weak.

...he's laughing. Wha-!?

"Why are you laughing!?"

"I can't help it! You're just too easy to tease!"

"?!"
I felt by face going red. I quickly turned away before he could see.

"I saw that."

"Saw what?"

"You blushing like a tomato. Really refreshing. I haven't seen you blush in a while."

"I didn't. You probably saw an illusion or something. You should get your eyes checked."

I said that while still turning my back.

"I did see you."

"No you didn't."