Chapter 24: Entrance Exam

I rang the small bell on my bedside table to call the maids for getting myself ready. Even though I wanted do it myself, I've learned better since that incident.

When I was 6, Emma got extremely mad at me when I tried to take a bath by myself. She never left my side after that, only when I had to go to the bathroom. It was pretty stressful. I never tried to do anything like that ever since.

Emma came into the room right away and helped me into the bath. Usually it is only Emma helping me with things like getting myself ready, but since yesterday, I was titled as crown princess so it was automatically decided that I would have more attendants. I was introduced to the two properly today, Adamaris and Earlene. 

Emma dressed me and Adamaris and Earlene both did my hair. Today, since I was going to take the entrance exam for the Academy, I chose to wear a simple outfit since I was planning to take the combat exam as well. I was planning to wear the shorts I received from Ms. Foxard but Emma started to glare at me when I put them in my hands, so I decided against it. I didn't want to anger Emma, after all.

In the end, I had to decide on a simple dark red knee-length skirt with a white button-up shirt. Emma put a blue ribbon at the collar for appearance's sake, and Adamaris and Earlene put my hair up in a loose braided bun. I was about to put on leather combat boots I also received by Ms. Foxard but I was once again stopped by Emma. With much pleading and convincing, I was allowed to wear comfortable ankle high formal leather boots. It worked out great, since I'm sure she was going to force me to wear heels. I also put on a belt with three pouches at my side that held my magic gems.

I got onto the carriage, heading towards the Academy. The Academy is situated on a small country near the Cornerius Empire. I think it was Jamaica on Earth. Since it is really far to get there, we are heading to the capital of Floria, where the elimination exam will take place.

Each year, there are many applicants so the Academy hold a preliminary exam to scout students that are satisfactory enough to take the entrance exam. The students who passed will be taken to the Academy via transportation device. Since I come from a royal bloodline, I am allowed to skip to the official entrance exam as long as I was tested before to see if I had magical power. To reach the Academy, I am heading to the capital to use that transportation device. It seems that the tests take place in the capitals of each country, excluding the Fairy and Demon Continent.

When I arrived to the venue of the small examination in the capital square, an examiner quickly appeared to my side, greeted me and guided me towards the device. I peeked at the crowd, and I saw that everyone there were lowering their heads and putting their right hands over their hearts. I did not know why, but smiled at the younger or slightly older youths firmly holding their positions.

I was lead to a small dark room, with a large purple crystal in the middle. I was instructed to place my hand on the crystal, hand release a small amount of mana to activate it. When I did so, there was a bright lilac flash and I greeted a completely different scenery I was seeing before.

What I saw was a grand white castle with a cylindric base and many towers. It was decorated with golden ornaments and lush wall fountains. The island was not big compared to the grand countries, but there was the charm of a lively and peaceful place unrelated to the darkness of the outside world.

There was a small village on the first level with many powerful looking masters at the residents. The second level looked similar to dorms and training grounds. The castle, or the Academy, stood in the centre on the third and highest level.

While admiring this other-worldly place, I noticed a very powerful presence walking up to me from behind.

"Well well, what a promising young lady we have here. May I ask for your name?"