~Chapter Twenty Eight~

After about an hour of lounging around in bed, Maddy decided to go downstairs and help Damon read through Jonathan Gilbert's journals

After about an hour of lounging around in bed, Maddy decided to go downstairs and help Damon read through Jonathan Gilbert's journals. Damon and Maddy both sat on the couch, her head in his lap as they both had a dusty old journal in their hands, their eyes scanning over each word carefully. Katherine sat in the chair beside the couch holding nothing. Damon still didn't trust her so he wouldn't let her read through any of them.

He held a journal in one hand while he ran the other through Madison's soft hair. Katherine sighs, standing up from the chair and walking behind Damon. She leans over his shoulder to get a view of what he's reading.

"Can I help you?" Damon questions in an annoyed tone.

"I'm bored." She sighs.

"You're over 500 years old, Kat. Find something to keep you entertained." Maddy chuckles.

"Fine, let's go do something then."

"I'm busy," Maddy replies, waving the journal in the air.

Katherine huffs as her eyes return to the journal in Damon's hands and she starts to read aloud. "Emily Bennett was taken by the Council today. They kidnapped her from her home and took her to the same location her ancestors were burned a hundred years ago. So Emily died on the site of the massacre, too. Does it say where?" She asks, reaching forward to take the diary just for Damon to quickly move it out of her reach.

"Nope. You know this whole friendly, cooperative thing?" He speaks.

"Mm-hmm." Katherine nods.

"I don't buy it." He deadpans.

"I have no reason to lie to you, Damon." She sighs.

"Lie," Damon states, his hand finding its way to Maddy's hair again.

"I'm hungry." She states, changing the subject.

"The only reason you're still here is because Maddy still cares about you for some reason. You're the unwanted house guest. Go feed yourself." He says.

Maddy quickly sits up as Katherine leaves to the cellar, her hands holding her head as she starts to feel the familiar pain.

"What's wrong?" Damon asks, setting the journal down and rushing to her aid.

"Its Selene, she's back at trying to take over again." Maddy groans in pain.

Damon gently takes her face in his hands, forcing her to look at him. "Hey, just look at me and focus, ok? You're strong. Fight her off." He whispers.