~Chapter Thirty Eight~

The one word that could describe how Maddy was feeling was anxious

The one word that could describe how Maddy was feeling was anxious. The bones in her body were filled with anticipation as she watched Klaus slowly approach the ring of fire that held Jenna Sommers. It was almost as if he was taunting them, wearing that annoying smirk on his face that Maddy was regretfully starting to like. Call her weird, but she couldn't help who she was attracted to.

His footsteps were slow, almost like he was savoring the fear that he could see in Jenna's eyes. To Maddy, it was quite repulsive. She didn't understand how someone could find joy in hurting people who didn't deserve it. The poor girl just learned about the supernatural a couple of days ago and here she was, about to lose her life over something she hardly knows about.

Greta starts chanting the next part of the spell which causes the ring of fire surrounding Jenna to slowly disperse. Elena watches with tear-filled eyes, awaiting her aunt's inevitable death. Maddy could hear Elena's heartbeat rise with each step Klaus took.

"No." Elena cries as Klaus finally stands in front of Jenna's circle.

"Your turn," Klaus speaks.

"No, Jenna, no!" Elena shouts, trying to make her way out of the ring of fire, causing the flames to flare up again.

"It's alright, Elena. I know what I have to do." Jenna sighs, giving the young brunette a sad smile.

As the circle of fire vanishes Jenna speeds over to Greta, sinking her teeth into the witch's neck. A small smile made its way onto Maddy's face when she realized what Jenna was trying to do. Killing Greta would mean Klaus wouldn't have a witch to finish the ritual. She was trying to save Elena. It was a sweet gesture, but Maddy knew it wouldn't work. It wasn't going to be that easy, or else she, Damon, and Stefan would have already done it.

Klaus speeds over to Jenna, staking the newly turned vampire in the back and pulling her off of Greta, who has fallen to the floor with an open wound on her neck. Jenna gasps and Klaus releases her letting her fall to the ground. Maddy turns her head already knowing what was soon to come. It took a lot of restraint to not fight Klaus and give Jenna some kind of chance to run away. She knew if she did that the plan for killing Klaus would be ruined. She had to stay calm and collected. She had to think with her head and set her feeling of anger aside.

"Jenna, no!" Elena cries as she looks into her ain't eyes. "Just turn it off. Jenna. Turn it off. You won't be scared anymore."

Klaus flips Jenna over onto her back and hunches over her. Maddy watches in despair as Jenna turns her humanity off right before Klaus shoves the wooden stake into her heart. Madison squeezes her eyes shut when the sound of Elena's cries fills her ears.