𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

"Nope- still nothing." Hanji was instructing me to try to verbally talk with the titans, like a conversation, but nothing was happening. All they responded to were simple commands.

"And you still can't read their minds?"

"No, only their screams." Her face deadpanned. I bet she was expecting way more when Levi first told her I could "talk" with the titans.

After her short disappointment, Hanji suggested that we try to find a way to block out their screams. I was heavily grateful for this, my hands were already massaging my aching temples from Sawney and Bean's piercing shrieks. It took a few hours, but in that time I managed to lessen the screams into a faint buzz.

The sun started to set and I was sure even Commander Erwin could hear my stomach grumble all the way from HQ.

"Hanji, are we almost done?"

"No."   

"What! But we've been out here forever!" I whined shamelessly. I just wanted food for goodness sake.

I turned to Levi by my side and gave him a pleading look. He took it into consideration for a second but shut it down, saying how we needed to find out more about my abilities. I grumbled at this.

"Hey, Levi, what're we gonna say to the other about my abilities?" I say after a while.

"For right now, and this was under Erwin's order, we're only telling some of Hanji's squad members and our squad. He doesn't trust anyone else to accidentally blabber about it then have it getting to the Military Police Brigade." I hummed in response. That was pretty smart actually: if the Military Police got words about it they'd probably want to want to pick at my brain- looking for answers or sign me off as a titan. It was obvious to say I was content about keeping it a secret.

"Can I at least tell my friends?" He pondered over this, his thin eyebrows scrunching.

"I'd have to meet them first. Erwin entrusted me with seeing who we could and couldn't let know." I didn't argue at this, but I knew we could trust Eren, Armin, and Mikasa at least.

As the moon started to rise at its peak Moblit finally managed to convince Hanji to release us from her captivity and let us eat. Once we reached the mess hall I nearly cried when Levi placed a steaming bowl of broth in front of me, a piece of bread next to it.

"Thank you, Shorty!"

He tched and started to sip from his tea with one hand and shoving me out of my seat with the other. My butt hit the hard ground with a thud.

"Oi! What was that for?"

He just simply shrugged and went back to drinking his tea, hiding his small smirk beneath the rim of the cup.

...................

After being almost killed by a titan again, those awful dreams began to come back. Once we went back to the training grounds, I had to be moved to the basement from the constant screams that woke me up in the night. Night terrors upon night terrors haunted me in my sleep. The constant dark marks under my eyes started to become even more prominent with each passing night. After a week or two, I got over tossing my guts up or transitioning into a sobbing mess, but now I just woke up with chills over my body. However, I still couldn't contain my screams no matter how hard I tried.

Levi suggested after a while that I could room with either him or Hanji since I always slept better with one of them near me, but I didn't want to burden them. I was fine in the basement by myself; it was relaxing to be away from everyone sometimes.