Chapter 01

Jessica's father shook her awake, she rubbed her eyes adjusting to the sunlight creeping through the curtains. She turned over, pulling her covers over her head.

"Jessica, get up," her father said "We need to leave for the Ministry soon," pulling her covers off her.

Jessica groaned, looking at herself in the mirror, she needed to look respectable while attending the Ministry. She wore black jeans, with a blouse and a black blazer to tie the outfit together. Jessica walked downstairs, she pointing her wands to her hair, tying her hair into a loose bun.

"Do I look suitable?" she asked her father nodded.

Taking her hand apparating outside on a London street. They walked towards a red phone booth, dialling the number 62442 the phone booth shifted beneath them, bringing them down below the ground.

Once the phone booth stop, Jessica and her father turned around, seeing other wizards and Ministry officials at work. Mr Harper, pointed over to the elevators, guiding his daughter through the crowd of witches and wizards. He gestured for Jessica to go before him.

"Where to?" a guy asked, Jessica's father sighed.

"Courtroom, please," Mr Harper, the guy pressed the button for that floor.

The elevator took them to the correct floor, stopping to let Jessica and her father out. As the elevator returned back to the ground floor felt a lump in her throat, the reality had set in she could be in serious trouble and lose her wand for this. Mr Harper placed his hand on Jessica's giving it a little squeeze, offering her a reassuring smile.

Jessica walked ahead of her father, as he were to be seated in the stands, Jessica took her seat in the centre of the courtroom, praying to Merlin that she wouldn't be in too much trouble. The courtroom slowly began to fill with witnesses and the jury,

They took their seats, quietly talking amongst themselves, taking quick glances ar Jessica, she felt judged before the trial had even begun. She bounced her knee, fiddling with the hem of her blouse. The Minister for Magic, entered the courtroom, he was handed the case file, he read through the file, Jessica's nerves worsened as he didn't speak right away.

"Miss Jessica Lauren Harper, is that your name?" the Minister asked,

"Yes sir,"

"You live alone with father, Samuel Harper, is that correct?"

"Yes sir,"

"Miss Harper, are you aware you live near a muggle inhabited neighbourhood?"

"Yes sir, but-

"And are you aware that you performed the Confundus Charm, on not one, but four muggles?" he wouldn't let her finish.

"Yes sir, but I-

"Miss Harper, are you aware of the dangers in which the Confundus Charm can cause?" before Jessica could answer he provided an example "such as causing harm to one's self if exposed to long,"

"Yes sir, could I-

"Miss Harper, are you aware you risked the exposure of wizardkind-

"Minister if I may explain myself," Jessica interrupt the minister "Please," Jessica plead, the Minister nodded

"I only cast the charm because I felt threatened, the muggle boys grabbed me as you said there was four and me, by myself, I was defending myself Minister," Jessica explained.

"I'm sorry to hear that, can anyone be a witness to this, Miss Harper?" Jessica put her head down.

"No sir," Jessica said, "But it is the truth-

"Miss Harper, if I believed every wizard who said they were telling the truth, how I would I know who is lying?" he left with the jury to get the verdict.

Jessica looked up at her father in the stands he offered her a smile, trying to appear strong for her but he knew the Minister wasn't about to let her off easily. Once the Minister came back, she gulped fearing what the Minister was going to propose.

"Miss Harper, as a clear violation of using magic in the presence of muggles, knowingly. We'll have to charge you a fine of 5000 Galleons," Jessica bit her lip.

"I'm sorry Minister, my family don't have that kind of money,"

"Then I'm sorry Miss Harper," he gestured for officers to take her.

"No please, Minister there must be something I can do, work off my sentence, please," the Minister thought for a moment, he gestured for a witch to bring him a book, he peered through the pages.

"There's a Dragon Sanctuary in Romania that's in need of assistance, you can work your charges off there," the Minister offered, she gulped Dragons, of all the jobs I could have done, she thought to herself.

"Miss Harper, do you accept?" Jessica glanced at her father, he nodded as if pleading with her to accept the offer.

"Yes sir, I do accept this,"

"Then it's settled, the Ministry will be in touch with your boss to discuss your position, you may leave now," he gestured towards the door.

"Thank you, Minister," Jessica hurried out of the courtroom, her breathing heavy, she held her chest trying to steady her breathing.

"Jess," her father called.

"Dragons" was all she could say.

"I know, for a moment I thought you were going to say no,"

"Dad, I'm scared of a hamster, how in Godric's name am I going to work with Dragons-

"Jess, I think you miss understood them, the sanctuary is in need of assistance, you've never worked with any animals in your life, they aren't about to send you into a dragon's den," she nodded, hugging him tightly, she hoped her father was right.