Chapter 15

Jessica and Charlie wandered through the halls of the pyramid, hopelessly trying to find a way out, but the old pyramids had magic like no other. They thought they had been walking down a straight hall but ended up back where they started.

All the running around was beginning to give Jessica a headache. Jessica rubbed her arms shivering a little, Charlie took off his jacket putting it around her. Jessica walked closely to Charlie, they had gone past the same pyramid drawings for the seventh time.

"Charlie we've been own here, seven times now, we're never going to get out of here,"

"Listen to me Jess, we're going to be fine, I fear it's getting late," Charlie said, looking around the halls,

"We need to find somewhere to sleep, the workers aren't going to be back while the morning," Charlie said, looking around them, he spotted a gap in the wall, he peeked through, Charlie saw the flicker of candlelight.

"What is it?" Jessica asked

"It looks like a room but I can't see all the way in," he clicked his fingers, pulling his wand out of his pocket, "Hold still"

Charlie held his wand up to her, he cast the shrinking charm, 'Reducio' Charlie cast, Jessica shrunk in size, Charlie then cast the same spell on himself, shrinking down to a few inches tall. They were now small enough to crawl through the gap in the wall, once they were on the otherside.

Charlie held his wand to himself, he cast the engorgement charm, 'Engorgio' he grew back to his normal height, he then cast the same spell on Jessica, she grew back to her normal short self. The pair looked around the room, there was a giant portrait of a man with the head of a jackal.

"He looks strange," Charlie commented, as they both looked at the portrait Jessica admired the portrait, while Charlie tried to work out what exactly the half man half creature being was.

"That's Anubis, he's the God of Death and the Underworld," Jessica explained

"Why does he have the head of a canine?" Charlie asked, hoping she could teach him something for a change.

"Well, Jackals are scavengers, they feast on the dead mainly, so in order to protect those who have died, Anubis is depicted as having a Jackal's head, to ensure that the dead arrive safely to the underworld, rather than being stuck in the limbo for eternity," Jessica explained,

"Wow, how do know all this?" Charlie asked, amazed by her knowledge of Egyptian deities.

"My mother was major mythology geek, she read everything from Egyptian, Greek, Norse, even Aztec mythology," Jessica said, "my dad still tells some of the stories now, even if I've heard them a hundred times already," Jessica smiled, thinking of her father reminded her of how lost he probably was without her. All alone in the house.

"Do you miss her, your mother?" Charlie asked

"Yes, I do very much," Jessica said, "she always wanted to watch me go to Hogwarts, but she didn't get to," Jessica looked up at the various portraits of Egyptian deities.

"She'd really love it here," Jessica said quietly.

Jessica didn't know it was the blankets and the low warm feel of candlelight, or Charlie subconsciously rubbing her arms to make her feel better. But she felt as light as a feather, as though the weight of their problems had lifted from them, Jessica turned her head looking up at Charlie.

Jessica leaned up to kiss him, Charlie kissed her back immediately moving her towards the otherside of the room, where the blankets laid, Jessica braced her hands against his chest. Charlie pulled away from her for a second, Jessica looked down between them.

"Is everything alright?" Charlie asked, wondering if they were going to fast again,

"Yeah, I just - do you want to do this?" Jessica asked him,

"Not if you're uncomfortable," Charlie said, moving away from her.

"It's not that, Charlie," Jessica said, sighing "I don't want you to think badly of me,"

"Think badly of you?" he repeated "What do you mean?"

"I don't want you to think I'm a girl who's easy to get with," She admitted,

"Oh, I didn't think that," Charlie smiled at her,

"I think you're great, I don't connect with anyone because of what I do, it takes up too much of my time, but I feel something with you, and I'd like to think you do too," Charlie said, Jessica smiled at him, planting a light kiss on his lips.

"You've changed me, I used to be scared of anything that crawled-

"Used to be?"

"My point being, you've helped me with that, never in my life did I think I would have a puppy, I miss River so much, and we've only been here for four days, and it's all because of you," Jessica admitted,

She smiled at him, Charlie kissed her softly, Jessica snaked her hands around his neck pulling Charlie closer to her, she tilted her head back, letting Charlie kiss her neck Jessica ran her fingers through his hair.

Jessica lifted his shirt, Charlie broke their kiss lifting the jumper over his head throwing it to the side. He attached his lips onto hers again, taking off her jacket and shirt.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Charlie asked, pulling away from her for a second, Jessica nodded her head, pulling him down to kiss her again.