7

Carlisle found Marcus in the study, reading silently as usual. The ancient hasn't changed much since Carlisle left the Volturi, still being the one who had more compassion and mercy than Aro and Caius combined. It was a shame that he lost his wife to none other than his brother Aro himself. He sure did prove to be loyal, for Carlisle would've left the second after the leader of the coven killed his mate.

"I know you want to talk, Carlisle." The ancient muttered and closed the book, "We've lived under the same roof for a while centuries ago, after all."

"Marcus, I never doubted your gift in sensing bonds but -"

"But you're wondering if I didn't make a mistake this once?"

Carlisle nodded, "I just never thought it was possible for a baby to be a blood singer."

"Just like we never thought it was possible to have half-human, half-vampire children," Marcus added.

"I don't know how it will work out." Carlisle sighed, "Demetri will feel bonded to Grace as Edward did to Bella, but what about Grace? She's too young to form that big of a bond with someone. A baby can't fall in love."

"She will feel attached to him." Marcus explained, "As she grows up, little Grace will more often seek comfort with him. You mustn't keep them apart, Carlisle. You saw what happened to Edward and Bella when they were separated. I've known Demetri for years and he's the gentlest member in the Guard. He's reasonable, polite and loyal to anyone he cares about. I'm very disappointed that his thirst has gotten the best of him the other day, but I still count on his calm nature. The only advice I can give you is to give Demetri a second chance. He'll think twice before letting it slip through his fingers again."

The door to the study opened and Esme peeked in, "Carlisle, Demetri wants to see Grace."

Anyone could tell that both covens were on their guard as Demetri entered the family room, his face expressionless. It felt like the day at the clearing all over again, except this time they were protecting Grace and not Renesmee. Rosalie held Grace close against her, not showing any signs of wanting to hand her over to the tracker. Emmett and Jasper were at either side of her with Edward close by to read Demetri's thoughts, in case he would lose control. They all knew that he wouldn't kill or harm Grace on purpose, but take the fact that her blood appealed to him in every pleasurable way possible, they were cautious that he might forget to hold his breath.

Speaking of breaths, everyone was holding theirs as he came closer and closer to Grace.

Demetri stopped two feet from Rosalie and looked from her to Grace, "I have no idea how to hold a baby."

Esme smiled compassionately and carefully took his arm to lead him closer to Grace, "None of us did. It was a big adjustment for all of us, especially for Emmett and Jasper. But we'll show you. Come."

Esme showed him to the sofa and took little Grace from Rosalie. Demetri shifted uncomfortably as the child came closer to him.

"Open your arms." she instructed him, "Use your right arm to support her head like a pillow, and your left to support her lower body. That way she won't slip or fall."

Demetri did exactly as she told as the lightweight was placed in his arms. At first, he sat there with his back stiff and all his muscles tense. How could the Cullens do this every day without feeling uncomfortable? Or even crave the blood that rushed through her veins? He shifted again, but this time to hold her more comfortably, moving her head a little upwards so that it was now resting on his bicep. Grace seemed new to this position but found his Volturi crest necklace too entertaining to care. She grabbed at it and examined it carefully, letting her tiny short fingers turn it over and over.