Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Asher sat behind the front desk of the hotel, playing solitaire on the computer. He debated downloading an emulator to play more video games, but he was afraid of his boss one day actually doing her job and noticing.

He was bored. Nearly bored to death. In fact, given the new things he was learning about the underworld, death might be more riveting than his job.

Eros was at the apartment still, working on Asher's history homework. It was a little bit of blackmail. Or bargaining, as Asher preferred to call it. Though he was a god, Eros drooled. It was somehow both disgusting and adorable, and Asher hated it. So he took a picture of it. Multiple, in fact. Needless to say, they were the most unphotogenic photos of the Greek god, and he was still somehow attractive. Still, Asher agreed not to put the photo in one of the picture frames of the hotel bookcase (no one really looks there anyway, and he's pretty sure the picture that's in there now is some stock photo from the 50s) as long as Eros does his history homework.

Eros agreed. Honestly, he would've done Asher's homework anyway, and instead, he got blackmailed. He hated it... and loved it.

Asher sighed and dropped a ten of spades on a jack of hearts. He picked up his cup of coffee, and realized it was empty. Another sigh.

As he walked through the lobby, he realized someone was sitting on the couch with no luggage, staring at the television. He didn't seem very tall, and his outfit involved socks and sandals. Enough said.

"Excuse me, can I help you?" Asher asked him.

The man looked up. He looked to be about Asher's age, but his smile made him look younger. "Please!" He said, standing up. "I need to book a room here. For a few weeks, at least." His accent was thick, and one Asher couldn't quite place.

Asher told the man to follow him to the front desk, where he would actually have to do his job. At least it was something to do.

"Alright, do you have any preferences on the room type? Two beds, a suite, one queen bed?"

The man stared at Asher for a second too long but gave him a big smile. "I do not mind which room I get."

"One bed it is then," Asher forced a smile. "I'll put you on the first floor, in room 113. You'll be just down the hall to the right. Do you have any luggage that you need help bringing in?" He hoped not. Asher was the only one working today besides the housekeepers, and he dreaded the thought of carrying luggage, even if it wasn't up a flight of stairs.

"I'm fine, thanks." The man said.

Asher breathed a sigh of relief. He continued to check the man in, asking his name and for a credit card. He didn't have an ID, but honestly, Asher couldn't be bothered to tell him to come back when he had one.

After the man (Asher couldn't be bothered to remember his name) was checked in, Asher went back to playing Solitaire, wishing the day would pass by quickly.

He would rather spend time with Eros, as much as it pained him to admit. At least he didn't say it out loud in front of him. That would be mortifying.

A sigh of relief escaped him when the clock struck 4, and Asher wasted no time clocking out. He grabbed his jacket and started walking towards the front doors.

"Excuse me."

So close!"

Asher turned and forced a small smile on his face. The man who he checked in earlier was the one preventing his freedom. He managed to say a weak "how can I help you, sir."

"You do not have to call me sir. My name is Iasonas," he said with a smile. His seemed much more truthful than the one slowly falling of Asher's face.