Chapter 8

Almost immediately Asher regretted letting Eros live with him.

He wasn't used to having someone else in his space. Sassy didn't count, because she was tiny and didn't take over half his living room. Eros wasn't dirty; he didn't leave dirty clothes lying around, and he cleaned up all the dishes he used... but it was still another person in Asher's space and he didn't prepare for it.

Asher's apartment was constantly decorated for Halloween, because yes, he was in fact a five-year-old, and no, Halloween did not strictly belong to one month out of the year. He collected too many decorations and knick-knacks, and he had them placed throughout the apartment. The placement, Asher realized, was important to his ability to complete everyday activities... but he only came to this conclusion once Eros moved some of the decorations to make room for his belongings.

He tried to ignore it. Asher stared desperately at his homework in attempts to complete it, which is how doing his homework usually went, but instead of getting distracted by thoughts of video games and his cat, he couldn't stop thinking about the stupid snow globe that was where his little skeleton fairy used to be. It was just wrong.

With a frustrated sigh, Asher shut his laptop and decided to start making an elaborate dinner (ramen with extra seasonings and slices of tofu, which was fancy for him) to distract himself from that godforsaken snow globe. Eros stared at Asher with furrowed brows as he shut a drawer just a little too harshly. Something was wrong, but Eros had no idea what it could be.

He knew that moving in with Asher after only a few weeks of knowing each other was quick, but Eros wasn't used to waiting. He was a god, and that meant that he often got what he wanted. He was fortunate enough to be sheltered from his dysfunctional and toxic extended family growing up, but he was spoilt. If he wanted a pet, he got two. When he wanted a quick lay, there were more than a few people to choose from. Yet now he wanted Asher, and he was giving Eros a hard time. And they were destined to be together!

Instead of voicing his frustrations, mostly because he knew that they stemmed from him being an overindulged kind-of only child, he pet Sassy and examined Asher's movements.

He was clumsy, and he seemed even more so now that he was frustrated. He dropped a spoon twice, and tripped over nothing but air often. This wasn't uncommon, but Asher was cooking and that could lead to something both funny and dangerous. If he pulled out a knife, then he would intervene, but for now he continued to watch.

Despite his annoyance, Asher cooked enough food for both the god and himself. He incorporated Ramen into almost every meal, because he was a college student and that's what college students did. Eros could suck it up and eat normal human food every once in a while instead of whatever fancy god food he usually ate.

"Do you need any help?"

Asher looked at Eros with narrowed eyes as he finished the setting the table. Of course the god would offer to help after he finished cooking. He ignored the fact that he would often do the same just to get out of cooking or cleaning.

"No."

There was a beat of silence.

"Well, it smells delicious."

"Thanks."

They sat together at the coffee table, because who could afford both a dining room table and a coffee table? Certainly not Asher.

Asher tried to brush off his annoyance, but as he shoved a forkful of ramen into his mouth, he made eye contact with that hideous snow globe. From this position, he used to be able to see his beautiful, albeit a wee bit creepy, skeleton fairy. Instead, the fairy that Asher had grown to love was hidden.