chapter eleven

marinette's pov
eventually, we passed by my bakery, and chat noir spoke up.
"we should go say hi to marinette! she could probably give us both some free croissants," he smiled. my eyes widened.
"uh, i don't think marinette's, um, awake right now," i said, scratching the back of my head. it came out sounding more like a question, though, and chat looked at me funny.
"she probably is, i'm sure she has school and its nearly 7:30. let's go," he said, trying to drag me inside the bakery. i had to stall somehow, or else all he would find in my room would be a volley ball with a pigtailed wig on my bed.
"why so bent on going to see her? got a little crush on the baker girl?" i teased, hoping to gain myself some time. his facial expression became hard to read for a flicker of a second before changing back to his trademark smirk.
"of course not- why don't YOU want to see her? jealous that she's going to steal all your spotlight?"
"me? jealous? please! i just, um, if i was her i wouldn't appreciate the a certain cat waking me up so early in the morning."
"righttt. anyway, i'll visit her later and tell her bugaboo didn't want to come over," he threatened. i sighed in relief, having dodged a bullet.
"yeah, okay, see if she cares."
————
   as it turns out, chat wasn't lying about coming to my house. he showed up in my room at around six, not bothering to knock on the door.
   "chat! at least knock before entering," i scolded after tikki swiftly hid behind my computer.
   "your parents let me in. don't worry, i come bearing gifts," he grinned, holding up a dancing video game and a copy of the ladybug and chat noir movie. i ran to him and pulled the game out of his hand.
   "i've been wanting this one for AGES," i squealed, jumping into his arms. "thank you, kitty!" he froze slightly before hugging me back. shoot. my eyes widened after realizing what i just said. only ladybug called him kitty.
   "um, hahaha, what i mean is, thank.. you? chat? anyway, why the gifts? my birthday was months ago."
   "oh, come on, does every nice gesture need a reason? plus, i've been coming to your house often- and i don't plan on stopping- so you should at least have some entertainment of my choice," he conceded. i rolled my eyes before inserting the game disk into my computer.
immediately, a hyped up beat started playing from the speakers. he began tapping his foot to it before moonwalking across my room.
   "not to brag or anything, but i'm kind of a great dancer," he said, flexing his muscles a bit.
   "i highly doubt it."
    okay, so maybe he wasn't lying. every single song we played, no matter how hard i tried, he beat me at. over and over again. after a while, i was drenched in sweat, but he seemed fine.
   "it's the cat suit!! i bet that's helping you," i said, downing my second bottle of water. he sipped on his juice pouch calmly before patting my head. (a/n: adrien likes caprisuns ive adopted this headcanon yeah.)
   "or, maybe i'm just way better at dancing than you'll ever be," he smirked. "let's just go watch that movie. aren't you tired?"
   "no! i'm not giving up until i win," i said, though frankly i was getting pretty tired. he narrowed his eyes and scrolled through the song list. the cursor hovered over a clara nightingale song, and i perked up.
   "that one!! i've memorized like, all of clara nightingale's choreographies!"
   chat seemed confident in his abilities, but i finally beat him. of course, maybe the constant dancing to clara's songs in front of my computer was an unfair advantage, but whatever.
   "how did you even get so good at dancing? i never would have imagined you knew how to," i asked him as we walked downstairs to watch the movie on the couch.
   "are you kidding? i'm a natural at dancing. that and i've had lots of time to practice," he said, inserting the disc into the dvd player. i settled into the couch, our popcorn and candies on the table in front of us.
   the first line, of course, was a chat noir pun. i looked at him next to me and found him grinning at the joke. it was funny how well adrien did as his voice actor. it sounded so natural.
   "you know, if i didn't know any better, i'd have guessed adrien was you, he sounds so similar to you," i quipped, and chat noir laughed- albeit a bit loudly- beside me.
   "yeah, the casting for this movie was spot on," he said, stuffing popcorn into his mouth.
   even after having watched this movie at the premiere, it was funny to see the stark contrasts between real life and the movie. for one, i was not afraid of cats, and chat noir was nowhere near as obnoxious in real life. or maybe i had just grown accustomed to him?  it was also hilarious to see how they knew each other in real life but had no clue who the other was underneath the mask. right, as if we could be THAT blind???
   about halfway through the movie, i began to yawn. i had forgotten all about how late i stayed up, and was sort of surprised to see how tired it made me. i fought the urge to doze off, but gave in after a while. closing my eyes for a few seconds can't do me any wrong...