chapter forty-four

marinette's pov
adrien and i approached the party, still hand in hand. i'd meant to let go a few minutes ago, but i was still so shocked by what he'd told me earlier, and i hadn't exactly fully processed it yet. adrien likes... me?!
part of me wanted to ignore everything and simply date him. after all, he'd liked me for what apparently seemed like a while, maybe even for nearly as long as i'd liked him. but a larger part of me knew i wouldn't be able to forget about chat noir anytime soon, nor did i really want to forget him. i needed to, but i couldn't. so, for that same reason, i just couldn't date adrien. and i was beyond relieved that adrien was extremely supportive about the whole thing, like the sweetheart he was.
"do you think we should maybe let go of each other before we get to the park? just in case our friends decide to... assume things," adrien suggested, and i laughed nervously, removing my hand from his.
   "right! but i think someone already saw us," i muttered sourly, pointing my head towards the park gates, where lila stood. she didn't look angry, though. in fact, she wore a smug grin on her face as we drew closer. i sighed. this couldn't be good.
   "you two are so cute! though my memory is pretty spotty.... since when are you guys a couple?" she asked innocently, for some reason emphasizing the word 'spotty.' she must have been attempting to gain pity for some new made up condition she had. well, she's getting none from me!
   "actually, lila, we're just friends," i assured her calmly, and adrien agreed. lila's eyes widened for a second.
   "oh! i'm so sorry, i didn't mean to assume," she said, pulling her best fake innocent voice. "since this is the case, adrien, could i steal you for a bit? i'm sure marinette wouldn't mind."
   actually, marinette WOULD mind, but i couldn't say that aloud, so i nodded tersely at her and a suddenly very uncomfortable looking adrien. she smiled sweetly and took off, dragging adrien along with her.
   "i'm proud of you for being so mature, marinette, even if it meant handing adrien to lila," tikki said, floating out of my bag for a second.
   "thanks, tikki, but i don't think i have to worry about that anymore. it looks like chloe took care of things," i laughed, watching chloe yell at lila while adrien attempted to inconspicuously back away. chloe followed him, and lila slumped away elsewhere.
"girl! there you are, where's your gift? you know, the one you've been working on for ages," alya nudged me and led me into the park, which was spectacularly decorated for the party.
"huh? oh! adrien must have taken it to the gift table already," i laughed, before realizing how anything regarding adrien would play with alya. she raised an eyebrow at me.
"ah, adrien, hm? when exactly did he grab your gift? you two arrived at the same time," she remarked cheekily.
"oh, well, we may have walked here together," i squeaked, in a much quieter voice than i intended. alya gasped.
"you got here together? how'd that even happen? is there something you aren't telling me?"
"well, i was at his house-"
"his HOUSE?" she interrupted with wide eyes. "what in the world were you doing there?"
"shh, you're being so loud! okay, his dad invited me. he said my designs were promising and he's considering giving me an internship at agreste fashion," i said, barely able to contain my excitement. i left out the part about adrien's confession, simply because maybe that part would make alya combust in the middle of this party. i'd save that for later.
"are you serious? that's awesome, girl! you so deserve it," she squealed, hugging me tightly. i returned her hug, a massive grin on my face.
"thank you! there's more that happened, but i'll save that for later," i teased, and she frowned.
"oh, come on! tell me it all now," she begged. i threw an arm around her shoulder and laughed.
"i'd love to, but i think i'll save it. it'll be worth the wait, though, i swear." alya groaned, though it didn't sound too angry.
"i'm a reporter. i'll figure it out on my own, one way or another!" she declared. i giggled and suddenly caught sight of lila, who seemed to have found a new target. or, rather, four new targets. alix, juleka, rose and mylene were huddled around her, apparently very engrossed in whatever lies she was telling them.
i squinted angrily, about to go and get a closer listen before stopping myself. the only person benefitting from my angrily stomping across the park towards lila would be, well, lila, since it would only gain her more sympathy and me less credibility. so, i tore my gaze away from the group and led alya to the appetizers. the day was going perfectly, and that was not about to be ruined by anyone, especially not lila.
————
   i hesitantly knocked on juleka's room door, hoping she'd open up. of course, i found nothing but silence. again. i sighed exasperatedly and turned around, walking away defeatedly. this was the sixth consecutive day that she- along with the rest of my friends- had been ignoring me. and i highly suspected lila had something to do with it.
   no, actually, i didn't suspect. i KNEW she had something to do with it. she'd been so sweet at ms. bustier's baby shower, but that had to have been an act. she was talking to them for half the time there, and it didn't look like they were discussing rainbows and unicorns to me.
   i was so caught up in mentally cursing lila that i didn't even notice luka until i ran head first into him.
"oh, shoot, luka, are you okay? i'm so sorry, i didn't even see you right there," i apologized, and luka did nothing but smile.
   "there's nothing to apologize for, marinette. were you here to see juleka and rose?"
   i nodded and sighed. "i've been trying to reach them for almost a week, but they haven't even opened my texts! i bet it's got something to do with lila, that conniving little- oh, but you don't know her, do you?"
"is she the girl with long brown hair and an orange jacket?" i nodded vigorously, and luka chuckled. "she came over yesterday, and i bumped into her in the kitchen. she seemed nice, but then she began to flirt... and then she said something about you always neglecting juleka and the rest of your friends... i tuned out around there, because that sounded nothing like you. i did tell her to stop spreading lies, but she just giggled and said they weren't lies. then she went off to find juleka again," luka concluded. i cringed as i imagined lila running her dirty little hands on luka like she did to adrien. blegh.
   "so she IS telling people things about me? ugh, what am i going to do, luka? everyone always believes her, it's so hard to prove her wrong," i whined, attempting not to sound like manon when she asked for toys but ultimately failing.
   "well, marinette, if people are really your friends, they'll put their trust in you. they won't just believe anything that comes out of people's mouths about you. they shouldn't do that. and, if they do believe it, good riddance!" he proclaimed, making me giggle.
   "thank you, luka. i'll try and remember that."
   i did try and remember it as i went home, i really did. but all that i was managing to remember was lila's promise of turning everyone against me, the one i had so easily shrugged off. at the time, it had seemed impossible, but now? it was too real to even ignore.
   when i entered my room, i was ready to just throw myself onto bed and sulk, maybe watch a movie or two. as soon as i entered, i however, i saw someone sitting on my chaise, patiently waiting for my arrival.
   i went pale as i made eye contact with alya. not because i wasn't happy that my best friend had shown up at my house after nearly a week of zero communication.
   no, what made my blood run cold was the fact that trixx lay nestled in her hands, with pollen laying similarly in her hair. and alya seemed perfectly calm, as if she had already been aware of the kwamis being here in my bedroom. oh no.

(a/n: gasp)