Chapter 15 🌲

The hours until lunch had literally dragged out, much to Athena's annoyance. But music class was not all too bad, at least she did not have to show off any skills. And as the day went on, more students returned as well.

Gym was funny. Especially since she had it with Emmett and Edward. To see them try to act human in that subject, well, priceless. Emmett especially. It was something called overdoing it, which was exactly what he was doing.

Together the three made their way to the cafeteria when the fourth period was over. She stood in line with them and took a look around. It was crowded enough. She bought a bottle of water and found a shrimp salad. Then she was looking around for salt. She did not find it and she felt her expression fall as they made their way over to the 'Cullen table' or so she would guess.

As she sat down Rosalie made three bags of salt glide their way over the table and over to her. "I had a feeling you would want it," she said with a wink.

"Thanks, you have no idea," Athena muttered as she opened the bottle and started to pour the salt in.

"They are whispering again," Emmett said with a frown. Concerned for Athena.

"Let them whisper. I mean, from where I came from, they did it as well. Sure, I could not exactly always hear it, but it was no secret. To them I was a freak."

"Are you sure you are ok?" Jasper wondered.

"Relax, I learned to live with it a long time ago. This is no different," Athena reassured. Well, except that I'm not exactly human nor vampire.... lame.

Edward looked over to Jessica's mind. She was staring at Bella and Bella was staring at their table. Still nothing, he thought as he looked at Bella once. His attention shifted and he met Jasper's eyes.

I swear I just felt it, Edward. She's pissed for some reason, Jasper thought.

"Here comes Bella," Rosalie hissed lowly.

She made her way over slowly. Athena could hear every step. She almost had the urge to get up and rip her throat out as she came closer. Another swallow of her salad.

"Come on, Bella. They're busy," Jessica whispered nervously.

The steps stopped. Then they turned and the steps went another way and faded with them.

Athena visibly relaxed and unclenched her jaw. The other Cullen siblings relaxed again and started talking quietly between themselves.

She met Edward's eyes briefly. He lifted an eyebrow; she did the same in response. Neither said a word.

"Shouldn't you two get to class?" Rose asked as she got up to leave.