Chapter 27: A Lot of Dialogue

Wearing a welding mask was never something Golf Ball liked. Hot, stuffy, sweaty, and above all else, she could never find one that properly fit her. Every so often she would have to drop the sparking torch to adjust the fit on her face. But unless she wanted red-hot pieces of metal to fly off and burn her face off or blind herself, it was the only option when trying to fuse a time-flux capacitor to an antimatter dissolving neutron switch.

Golf Ball was about to readjust her mask for the billionth time when her phone started ringing. She took off the metal plate and picked up her phone.

"Hello? This is Golf Ball speaking."

"Hey! It's Pencil! Remember me?" the person on the other side replied.

"Yes, I remember. Let me guess, you want me to open up the doors so you and your friends can come into my underground factory?"

"I couldn't have said it better. Just one small issue..." Pencil clicked her tongue. "There are just a couple of extra people up here as well."

GB gasped. "You said you'd only bring two people here! And I didn't even agree before you ran off! How many people are up there exactly?"

"One... two... three..." she quietly counted. "Including me, there are 10 people up here. Some of which I don't even know. Are you sure the location of this factory is secret?"

"T-t-" she found it impossible to find the words. "TEN!? That's more than the number of people I've spoken to in my life!"

Pencil sighed. "Yeah, whatever. I mean, everyone is already here. You might as well let us in."

"Fine. But I'm only doing this so I can directly yell at your collective faces to get out of my factory." She put down the phone. "TB, open up the door, please."

Her lab assistant dropped the toolkit he had been carrying and walked over to the staircase. On one of the walls was a keypad that controlled the door at the top of the stairs. He pressed a few numbers and sunlight began streaming down from above. Sunlight carrying the sounds of the only organisms on earth that were fouler to her than even the bugs—other objects.

With the doors open, the brotherhood of "nobody asked for them to come here, they just did" began entering her factory. They all eventually found their way to the main floor with Pencil at the lead. Upon seeing their new environment, one red cube pushed his way through the crowd.

"Pen! Over here!" he shouted, "I brought the whole gang with me!"

A few other objects followed his lead forward. Specifically, they were an eraser and a snowball. With her years of practice in logic, she deduced that they were Eraser and Snowball respectively.

Pen stood up and ran over to his friends. "Blocky! You made it without dying!"

"Of course he didn't," Snowball replied in a gruff voice, "I was there. These weaklings would've not survived a wasp if it were not for me!" Just to emphasize his point, he made a punching motion in the air.

"Actually, he was the first one to run away," Eraser deadpanned.

"Grr! You're just too much of a wimp to admit that you crawled into the nearest bathroom stall!"

"Sure, buddy, that's exactly what happened," Blocky snorted.

Their argument continued for some time. Meanwhile, a conversation had broken out between some other members of this motley crew.

"Wow, Pin, this place is so cool!" Leafy exclaimed. "I bet we can turn this place into an amazing restaurant, the four of us!"

"Maybe," Pin considered. "The green ooze flowing out of the open-ended pipes is a little concerning. So does the vat of lava over there. Oh, and all the dangerous-looking scientific equipment scattered all over the place. But I'm sure we can get this place fixed up."