IX

Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank. Hop. Clank.

The monotonous pattern echoed through the metal corridors, making their empty way down bit by bit. It was bright. Too bright, at least for regular objects. Everything about this place seemed strange.

You could even say it was alien.

Others passed by, minding their own businesses. Here. everyone had a role to fulfill. Everyone was made to do as much as possible. Everyone was perfect. Well, not everyone. There were the strange and rather unconventional ones, but those would be left back home. Here, they were immaculate.

The hallway ended in a large room, semicircular in shape. The front of the room was plated in glass, opening up to the dark expanse outside. More of these unknown strangers were idling about in this chamber, some looking more distinguished than others. The rest of the individuals stood next to computers and desks, constantly at work doing whatever they were programmed to do.

"Captain, results are coming back for Project Yoyle Metal", one of the operators notified in a cold and robotic tone.

The most prestigious of the rectangles turned away from the helm. "And?" The captain replied in a similar voice, only deeper and more authoritarian.

"It was a smashing success. All Yoyle flora have been adapted. Soon the economy of the city will be worthless."

"Excellent. Any news on the specimen?"

The operator activated a screen on the window, revealing the security footage for Holding Cell D20. A thin, light brown slab laid asleep in a white room, unaware of the shackles attached to their limbs. They seemed to be at relative peace.

"Good. How much longer before we can begin the tests?" 

The grey operator paused for a moment, as if to calculate something. "We'll need to wait for the subject to wake from their anesthesia. Probably in a few hours, at least."

 "Sounds reasonable. Any information on the readiness of the IE deployment?"

"It should be ready by tomorrow at 2200. Is that when you wish to launch it, sir?"

"As quickly as possible. The earlier we purge the planet, the earlier we can begin harvesting."

"Yes, captain." They gave a respectful nod, and headed back down to their station.

The captain turned back to the helm. Out in the distance from the massive window, was a small blue and green marble. It slowly seemed to rotate around as the ship orbited around. They were so close. So close to reviving the galactic empire. So close to reverting the shame and failure only a few decades ago. Nothing was going to stop them now.

"Our species will flourish once again!" The captain boomed.

The bridge erupted into an orchestra of cheers and celebration, which was a lot more depressing than an object celebration, since it was more like a melody of mechanical beeps and Google Text-to-Speech. They soon all quieted down, going back to work. 

After all, success was highly likely, but not certain.