Chapter 2: Party Aftermaths

The phone bleeped, waking up from its pre-calculated sleep to wake up another. Rays of light filtered through the translucent curtains, creating a speckled pattern throughout the room. 

"Uhhhh," Pen groaned, "do I really have to wake up now?"

He rolled his cylindrical body toward the noisy menace, quickly turning it off while avoiding blinding himself with the bright screen.  He shuffled back into the comforts of the bed, before a sudden realization hit him.

I can't be sleeping, he thought, quickly jumping out of bed and checked himself in the mirror. It was clear he still needed sleep. His eyes were sunken and dark circles formed around them, heavily contrasting against his white barrel. Blocky's party last night had made it impossible for even a deaf person to rest. Pen fumbled with his cap for a bit, trying to make himself look presentable.

Alright, I suppose I'm ready. Just need to grab a few things, and I'm off.

He snatched the previously annoying phone off the dresser, quickly checking to see if he had missed anything from last night. All good.

Do I need to take the keys with me?  He considered. Eh, Eraser will be home anyways.

 Pen made his way out in the living room, which, as expected, was a mess. The coffee table was buried under a multicolored mountain of chip bags and fast food takeout. The couches were covered in a magnitude of litter; the carpets soaked in whatever they were drinking. A game controller was smashed to bits, another found its way into a half-empty pizza box.

Amazingly, all of this seemed completely acceptable to Pen for a party.

It's what you get for being roommates with Blocky and Eraser. He sighed, quickly sending a text to his graphite-removing friend: "Please clean up mess from last night, will be gone all day."

Let's hope he saw that, Pen thought. Then he remembered something Blocky said about a camping trip or something. Probably nothing to worry about.

Carefully meandering his way over to the front door of the apartment, Pen decided against driving. If today's the day for a new Pen, then I might as well try biking to that new day.

He managed to find the old thing underneath someone's jacket. The bike looked a bit beat up, but it would have to do. As Pen pulled it free from the wall, he noticed that that the back wheel wasn't turning. Upon closer inspection, however, he found a bottle cap that somehow got stuck in the gears.

"Well that's annoying," he grumbled, yanking the metal cap out while accidentally getting a smudge of grease on his hand.

He went to the sink to wash it off, but a look at the clock revealed that he was already running late to his very important meeting. I can get this cleaned up later, he decided, and made haste getting to what would be the most important day in his life. 

Just as long as the meeting didn't go astray, of course.