Chapter 13: Baked Coins

Unlike safe driving practices, most people are not aware of the hazards of using a diamond-embedded saw when cutting into unknown materials. Out of the ones that have, though, Golf Ball was the expert.

"Hold him steady, TB," she said as she leveled the roaring buzzsaw.

Tennis Ball tightened the clamp on the metal object, and hastily backed away before the blade of death could consume him. From behind the dense welding helmet, GB slowly began to lower the weapon. She was nervous. After all, there was no telling what could happen when everything in your life was an enigma.

The saw collided with the unfortunate soul, showering the room in a plethora of glowing sparks and embers. Little scraps of the foreign material began flying off, shooting in seemingly random directions. To her delight, the blade was able to cut through the thin sheet rather easily. Within seconds, a chunk of the pirate map fell to the ground and the saw came to a gradual stop.

Golf Ball lifted the heavy visor to find Tennis Ball cowering in the corner. A single fading speck sat about a decimetre away from him.

"You get up now," she hinted.

TB got up and walked away. Without saying a word, he walked right off to his office. She felt a need to follow him, but then remembered that she had a lot more to do before her work was over. 

<=======>

"There, it's all ready!"

She marveled at the makeshift device in front of her, constructed out of scraps from the previous machine. It did seem a bit janky, to say the least, but it was still an impressive feat in her library of many impressive feats, as it only took the afternoon to build.

Just as GB was about to activate the power, the doorbell rang. That's odd, she thought. It seemed unlikely for her parents to be visiting since they were preparing to receive the Nobel Prize, and TB was not having anyone over. Other than that, nobody knew about the underground factory. That is, except Mr. Needy.

Speaking of Tennis Ball, he had finally come out of his room; forehead drenched sweat.

"Are you expecting someone?" TB asked.

"I was going to ask the same to you," she returned.

He shrugged, which looked really strange without shoulders. "It could be someone from Yoyleberries United."

The bell rang again, this time twice in succession.

"I think so too. Whoever it is, they seem rather impatient."

The doorbell was connected to the above-ground entrance, which was joined to the factory by a short flight of stairs. By that short explanation, it was clear why the Tube was the clear winner in terms of transportation to the surface. 

"Why do we even keep this entrance around if we don't even use it?" Tennis Ball wheezed as they scaled the steps.

"Because events like this happen. Plus, physical exertion builds character."

They soon reached a point where they couldn't go any further since the roof was blocking them. A scalloped line ran through the center of the door, followed by a small switch on the wall nearby. She flicked the lever, just early enough to hear stomping noises against the steel.

The two panels ripped apart, retreating into the sides with sounds of hydraulic pistons. Two unexpecting objects looked down at the floor they were standing on, which had now disappeared.