Chapter 31: Sunset

"Hurry up Pence-Pence!" Match yelled, "We're almost ready to leave!"

"Just give me a second," she replied, "I need to figure this out first." With the press of a button, her supervan vanished into the refitted hamburger box. She fit the top half back snugly. Her regular van followed suit, sucked into another identical container. "There!"

"What are those things, like, anyway?" Match asked as Pencil slipped both boxes into her pockets.

She shrugged. "Found them in Golf Ball's office while they were outside loading things up. I think they're some kind of compacting storage container. Thought it would be pretty useful to store the vans in a smaller area."

They rounded over the last hill, overlooking an operation of objects scrambling to load a small fleet of rafts. They were crudely built in the shape of a boat, with a tapered front and a short rail along the outside. A rope attached to a piece of wood wedged into the ground kept them from drifting away.

"Good call. I don't believe that, like, those tiny boats will, like, support those vans. Say, why are we, like, leaving again?"

Pencil thought about it. Surprisingly, she didn't know either. After Tennis Ball had forced them all into that insufferably cramped crawl space, everything seemed so much more on edge, even when compared to the metal yoyleberries or deadly bugs. Golf Ball—whom they had spent the entire night after coming out of the crawl space looking for—was not eager to give any answers either. It was like they were keeping something from her. Something big.

"I'm not sure.In all reality, I'm glad we're leaving this place behind. Too many bad memories."

After GB had woken from her extended map, a vote had been cast for how they wanted to proceed. Her reasoning for moving to the other side of the canal was simple: finding a power source for the new recovery centres that Golf Ball decided to suddenly "surprise" everyone with. Upon hearing this news, the vote to leave was unanimous. Well, almost. Spongy still believed in his hole-filled heart that someone would want to buy a car off him. It took a fair amount of convincing his stubborn face before he finally gave up.

"You're right, I guess. Like the whole immortality thing is great, but I think I'm gonna, like, miss this place."

"Yeah..." Pencil sighed.

<=======>

"TB! Is everything ready for departure?" Golf Ball barked from her vantage point on a boulder. The height gain boosted her self-confidence by at least 300%.

Tennis Ball looked up from a clipboard on the ground. "Let me see...yep! We're just waiting for Match and Pencil now. After that, everyone should be here!"

"Not the passengers! I meant the important stuff, like lab equipment and scientific data!"

"Oh, right." He flipped to another page of his checklist. "According to this, pretty much everything should be ready to go. A few things still need to be loaded onto the boats."

"On it!" Leafy ran past them, ferrying an arm's load of wires and parts. On her face was a smile that could only be worn by someone oblivious to the fact that they were being exploited for free labour.

"Great. And look at that! The two slowpokes finally showed up."

"Yesh. We arrive five minutes after you guys, and this is the treatment we get?" Pencil retorted.

"More like 50! Now, go get on one of the boats. You two have set us behind schedule enough as it is. Also," GB considered, "where did your vans go? I swear you had them when we got here."