Chapter 7: Phone Calls

Riding down the wide streets and avenues, Pen could finally enjoy the fresh Goiky air. It had been a long time since he had entered the outside world, and even longer since he last rode a bike. He was still thinking about his recent experience with Pencil, and how it had almost ended his entire future, just because of a poorly executed joke.

Wonder how Blocky would think about that, he pictured his woody friend, and all the "funny doings" he would get into. Usually, it ended in someone getting arrested. Now that I think about it, I haven't received a message from him or Eraser, he realized.

As Pen pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex he lived in, he noticed that Eraser's car was missing. That's a bit weird. Maybe Eraser's out getting groceries? He slowly dragged the heavy bicycle up the narrow staircase, squeezing through the small gap between the rusty bike and the plaster walls.

"I should probably consider getting a tetanus shot after that," he mumbled, finally arriving at the sixth floor. The hallway was dimly lit by a small window at the end. The brown windows looked as if they haven't been cleaned for at least a thousand years. It wasn't a great place, but it was the best they could afford. Pen had plans to move out soon with the money he'd earn from YoyleNet, but that was still a little down the road.

He arrived at the door, and turned the doorknob. It was locked. That's weird, Blocky never leaves the door locked when he's home. 

"Hello? Anybody home?" He yelled, knocking on the door. Nothing.

Maybe I should call Eraser, he decided, pulling out his phone. Opening up his messages, he noticed that Eraser had not yet seen his message from that morning. Strange. He tapped on Eraser's contact, and called him. A chilly feeling entered him as he recalled their conversation last night. What was it about? He wondered. Was it carpeting? No, that doesn't sound right.

"Hey man, what's up?" Eraser asked, the sound of traffic and Fortnite in the background.

"Eraser, you picked up! Where the writer are you?" Pen asked, relieved.

"Well, I forgot to charge my phone last night, so I couldn't tell you this morning, and by the time we were out I had already forgot about you."

"Okay, so where are you?"

Eraser's voice suddenly got a lot more quiet, as if he was talking to someone else.

"Hey Blocky, where are we?" Pen was able to make out.

"Blocky is there too?" Pen inquired. It suddenly occurred to him where his roommates were.

"Yeah, okay. We're just about at the canal. You know that we're going-"

"Camping, yep, I've noticed."

"Uh, sure. Anyways, we'll be back in two days. If you need it, Blocky left $50 on the counter. You did bring a key with you this morning, right?"

Pen remembered his fatal mistake that morning. "Um, what if I said no?"

"Well then I'd call you stupid and irresponsible." Eraser laughed, then snapped back. "You're joking, right?"

"Not exactly," Pen admitted.

"Oof. Well, you could get a room at a hotel at something, but that's too expensive. And we're already too far to come back and get you... Oh, I know, you could check if you can spend the nights at Snowball's! He's usually decently nice to us." 

The audio was progressively getting worse, telling Pen that they were losing signal.

"Thanks I'll ask hi-" Pen replied, being cut off halfway through.