Chapter 1: Night of Stars

"Are you, like, sure that we had to, like, come out here in the middle of the night, to, like, see stuff, Pence-Pence?" Match asked from the passenger seat.

"And miss out on tonight's meteor shower? Match, what has gotten into you lately?" Pencil stiffly replied, while staying focused on the drive ahead of them.

"I was just, like, asking. No need to be, like, so rude!" Match quickly fired back.

Pencil ignored the whining fire starter, and kept going. It was already dark out, the way ahead lit only by the twinkle of stars above and the beaming headlights of the pink and white van as it slowly chugged along. The purple grass beneath the tires made a soft splurge sound when the van passed over it. Pencil had to be careful not to run into the many, many berry bushes near the base of the mountain. 

Halfway up, where there weren't as many bushes, Pencil checked in on Match, only to find the red-headed stick already asleep. It was near midnight, and Pencil herself was feeling a tinge of tiredness, too. She had to keep reminding herself to stay awake. She was tempted to put on some music to help her drive, but decided not to, as to allow her best friend some time to sleep. Pencil herself knew that she would need to wait until they got to the summit before she could lay down. 

Slowly, but surely, the ground beneath the van turned green, then eventually white. Soon, they reached the top. The weary Pencil could finally receive her well deserved break. She dragged her fatigued self out of the seat and looked up. A single white streak made its way across the sky, tipped by a glowing star. She finally realized why they were called "Shooting Stars". 

After standing there motionless for a couple of minutes, Pencil turned to see Match still asleep, but now the woodsicle was slumped over, her phosphor tip contacting the edge of the driver's seat. Pencil was feeling a bit embarked for not noticing her friend's predicament earlier, and she quickly rushed over to the other side of the van to get Match out.

"Hey Matchy, get up, we're here," Pencil whispered in a way as to not startle her, while nudging her shoulder.

"Wh - what? Oh, we're, like, there?" Match mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she slowly got up.

Pencil smiled, finding humor in her companion's insistence to speak in that particular manner, even when she's half asleep.

"Come on, we've got a meteor shower to catch," Pencil reminded.

She made her way to the back of the van, pulling a blue and white checkered picnic blanket out, and spread it onto the white ground, which wasn't actually snow. Motioning for Match to come over, she laid down onto the blanket and made herself comfortable, looking up at the night sky.

A few moments later Match joined the wood-wrapped graphite on the mat. By this time, the meteors had increased drastically, and now the night sky was filled with rays of light, making their way toward the ground. They pierced the heavens, illuminating the sky in a dazzling show.

"You know what, Pencil? Like, this might have been, like, worth it," Match admitted.

"Exactly," Pencil responded, her smile faint in the dark environment.

The two slowly drifted off to sleep with a warm summer's breeze blowing over them.