Chapter 5: Misunderstood Jokes

A tingly sensation brushed across her face. Pencil's eyes opened for the first time in several hours, realizing that a leaf had somehow landed on her face. Match was still peacefully asleep next to her on the blanket. The van was parked nearby

The sun was already high in the sky, casting the morning light onto the city below. Pencil checked her phone, which, like usual, was flooded with notifications. Most of which were sent by a certain green owl telling her to learn Yoylese. However, one in particular caught her eye. It was from Pen.

"I'm at the location, how much longer until you arrive?" it read. The message was from two hours ago.

Pencil panicked. Had it really been that long? She checked the time. It was almost noon. She shot up, accidentally kicking her friend in the head.

"Ouch! Did you, like, have to do that?" Match yelled annoyed, rubbing the area.

"Oops, sorry Matchy, but we really have to get going!" Pencil apologized.

Match slowly got up, before Pencil yanked her by the wrist and threw Match into the van, before rushing into the driver's seat and slamming down on the gas. The van remained motionless for a split second, before the wheels found their ground. The van shot off the mountain, the view outside blurred like they were entering warp speed.

"AAAAAHHHHHH!" Match yelled as her face started deforming from the g-force.

Pencil ignored her, pushing forward. The van began glowing from the air friction, causing the inside to get extremely hot. A white explosion rocked the speeding vehicle, shattering both the windows and the eardrums of everyone within a mile's radius. The four hour trip up the mountain turned into a four minute trip back down.

"Hold on, we're going to crash!" Pencil managed to warn in the fray of things.

The van careened straight into an unnamed building, causing concrete and iron rebar to fly through the front, raining down deadly shrapnel. Pencil and Match both somehow managed to not get injured at all. 

"C'mon Match! I'm going to be late!" Pencil said, dragging the fire starter out of the rubble.

"WHAT THE WOODSICKLE PENCE-PENCE!?" Match screeched in a fury. "You nearly killed us!"

Pencil sighed, "Match, I can assure you this was all for a good reason. Now can you please go home? I have some business that needs attending to."

Match grumbled, but complied and dusted herself off, before walking off into the city streets. Suspiciously, nobody was around to notice the van that had crashed into the skyscraper. The way that Match so easily trusted Pencil  made her insides twist a bit. Pencil knew that Match trusted her with all of her somewhat simplistic mind. If anything were to happen to her, it would be Pencil's fault. 

There's no time tor contemplating my responsibility toward Match, Pencil realized. The drive was quick, but not quick enough. Chances were, Pen had already left several hours ago, back when she was still asleep. Might as well tell him the news. She pulled out her phone from her nonexistent pocket, sending a short message to the ballpoint brain.

"Sorry for not being there, ran into some hiccups along the way. How about we meet up at the cafe?" She typed, hoping that he would reply.

Maybe I should get the towing company to do something about this, she decided, looking back at the giant hole in the wall she had caused. The roof of the van was still steaming from the friction. A brick had smashed off the driver's wheel. I can only imagine how much this is going to cost.

After a quick phone call (with some sketchy questions and answers), the towing company agreed to get the van out. The giant hole? Pencil couldn't care less. The only problem was that the van would take a few days to get fixed up, which was fine for her. She'd been thinking of getting another car ever since starting up her company, which was now in jeopardy because she overslept with Match.