Chapter 17: Mornings of Smooth Jazz

There comes a time in everyone's life when they have to go through the most arduous years of their life: high school. Not only does one have to endure the pain of puberty, but they have to do do so while navigating the sociopolitical landscape more complicated than the back of a wifi router.

To Flower, it was even further amplified. She lived on a farm near the Goiky Canal, and that meant waking up extra early every morning to get to school on time.

So as the first rays of dawn broke on the Petals' Yoyleberry Farm, Flower was annoying awoken from her vegetative slumber to the sound of smooth jazz, of all things. In actuality, she didn't need the alarm, since her natural photosensitivity alerted her when the sun came out. She just really liked smooth jazz.

She'd then spend the next 10 minutes scrolling through her social media and messages, occasionally blocking the creepy guys asking her to prom. Such were the complexities of life.

"Good morning Sunshine!" someone called as she came down the creaky stairs.

"Hi, mom," she yawned.

Unlike most people her age, Flower did not hate her parents, even when they gave her nicknames that were more suitable to somebody who was seven, and not seventeen. In a way, it made them seem a lot more family-like.

"Hey, sis," her brother said between mouthfuls of breakfast cereal.

She gave him a little wave as she walked into the dining room, but was mostly concentrated about where the rest of the Looped Fruits were.

"Flower, dear, do you mind taking Bud to school today? I have to help your father getting the berries into storage. If we don't get those fruits in, who knows when they'll sell with this blockade?"

The idea of taking her brother with her was annoying, to say the least. For starters, she would have to leave at that moment to get there on time. And even though her family meant a lot more to her than other 17-year-olds, it was basically universal law that little brothers were the bane of every teen's existence. Then she remembered her plans to go shopping that afternoon.

"Fine, but if I take him can I spend some time at the mall after school?" She bargained.

Mrs. Dewpetals thought about it for a bit, but with Mr. Dewpetals calling from outside the window, she had no choice except to give in to the demands. Before her mom could even say a word, Flower grabbed an organic fruit and grain bar from the cupboard.

"Thanks, mom!" She yelled as she ran out the door, dragging Bud behind her.

The whole "driving" thing was still a bit new to Flower. Sure, she got her licence over eight months ago, but the lingering unfamiliarity still followed her when she got behind the wheel. Yet the landscape of fields and hills blanketed by green and purple bushes that passed by when she drove down the narrow farm roads were enough to wash any anxiety away.

"How has school been going?" She asked her little brother.

"It's okay..." His voice trailed off.

Detecting the uneasiness in her brother's tone, Flower asked. "Is there anything wrong?"

He sighed, "Well, there's this person at school who has been stealing everyone's lunch money."

"Did you tell your teachers?"

"No... But don't worry, I'll deal with it."

"Alright, if you say so," Flower concluded skeptically.

While she was confident in her brother's ability to ward off simple bullies, it was still not a good feeling to know that someone in her family was in danger of being mugged. So as all practical people would do, she made a mental note to pick up a can of pepper spray at the mall. Just in case, of course.

<=======>

By the time the simple scarlet sedan pulled into the local elementary school, the enriching glow of the nearest flaming ball of gas had thrown itself high into the blue and white canvas on the eastern edge. 

"Thanks for the ride, sis," Bud appreciated, opening the car door.

She grumbled, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'll tell Mom to pick you up after school."

"See you at home."

His pointed tip brushed against the roof of the car when he exited. Inside the green sepal, she could see hints of orange petals start to develop.

"Just don't get beat up by the bully!" She teased.

Bud gave a half-hearted laugh as he closed the door behind him. "You wish!"

Flower watched as her little brother walked off to meet his friends. She continued to watch as the bell rang, and all the students lined up at the door for another day of education. Even when they all went inside, she stayed. I have time, she naively thought while enjoying the crisp morning air flowing through the open windows.

She did not have time.

The fact was made clear to her when a text message broke her from her stasis. Sighing, she pulled her phone out from a compartment.

Unnamed Friend: Where the hell are you!?

Flower: What do you mean?

Unnamed Friend: Class starts in less than 5 minutes, and you're nowhere to be found!

Flower: ...

She checked the time. It was 8:57, a whole three minutes until she had to be sat down at a strangely warm plastic seat. And there, on the dashboard, was a sticky note. Which she didn't seem to notice earlier because the plot depends on it.

It read: Introduction to Fashion Design at 9 am. And underneath, in all caps: DON'T BE LATE!!!

She facepalmed. "Oh for petal's sake."