Chapter 13 - Ride of a Life-time

The days after Toothless took his first taste of flying again were... empty, to say the least.

   Toothless didn't talk to me - in fact, he made it his mission to avoid me (which was hard considering he couldn't fly without the Scaleless) - and I didn't talk to him. Both of us were hard-headed, stubborn; we stood by our points and refused to admit faults we both clearly committed.

   "Doesn't mean his idea wasn't worse than mine," I'd often thought when I caught myself glaring at him for longer than was necessary.

   Toothless and the Scaleless continued to test Toothless's flying skills both close and far from the ground, which left me alone for quite some time to think on my own.

   "Why am I not leaving?" I've had that thought almost as much as the one that tried to convince me I wasn't guilty for leaving him and the wretched Scaleless to fend for themselves. "He certainly wouldn't miss me."

   But, as much as it hurt to admit it, as much as it knocked my ego down, I realized that I grew to appreciate him.

   "But why?" I dragged the thought out, and only could ever answer it when I wasn't captivated by the struggle the question brought. "He's compassionate, talkative, strong and brave..."

   But just as I admit his good traits, I kept his negatives clear and visible as well:

   "But he's also naïve and trusts too easily- that's what got us into this situation in the first place."

   "Just to clear my head," I grumbled to myself silently when I flew out of the cove, not sparing a glance back, nor answering the shocked call Toothless roared after me. "Just to fly and think. Totally not to get away from Toothless and the Scaleless that will no doubt turn up."

   Instead of just flying and thinking, it ended up becoming a small hunting session as well. Boars were plenty in the woods that surrounded the cove, and darting into the waters for a quick snack on my way back was the last, satisfying bite of my adventure. As it turns out, if I leave the cove, so does every logical thought.

   It was early afternoon when I returned and Toothless and his Scaleless – Hiccup, Toothless told me he called himself – were stood before a Scaleless with blonde fur covering their head.

   "Idiots, just attack it already!" I roared as I dove down and tried to snatch the Scaleless off of the ground, who – hearing the shrill sound of my wings cutting the wind dove out of the way – and booked it into the forest.

   The Scaleless, Hiccup, whined something that I clearly didn't understand and didn't worry Toothless at all, because all Toothless decided to do was stare after the retreating Scaleless and then waddle away on his back paws to his root.

   "What? Toothless, you eel-brain we need to catch that thing before it brings more of its kind!" I snarled at him.

   "Not my problem," Toothless huffed back.

   "Not your- No, it's not your problem, it's our problem!" I snorted.

   "Still don't care," Toothless called and curled his tail onto the root and prepared to take a nap.

   Clearly Hiccup agreed with me, because he turned and started after Toothless.

   "When you got back your ability to think clearly and about the survival of others than yourself, follow me. Well, if you can, that is," I snarled at the two males, shaking my head with a snort and then taking off towards the Scaleless Hiccup no doubt lead into our cove. "No wonder he was getting happy, he knew he could bring his friends soon to end Toothless and me." I thought bitterly, following the Scaleless's scent into the woods.