Chapter 20 - Flight 102

Toothless and Hiccup waited in the arena patiently after dropping Astrid off at the edge of the forest.

    Toothless trotted around, unable to sit still or calm down.

    "I know you hate this place bud," Hiccup said when Toothless nudged his side. "We'll get out of here as soon as we can. You know what?"

    Toothless perked up at Hiccup's eager tone of voice.

    "You can wait outside if you want. You don't have to be in here," Hiccup offered, petting Toothless's head.

    Toothless whined but left nonetheless, hiding in a dark spot where any calm and relaxed eye wouldn't be bothered to look for him.

    "If you're planning on getting eaten," Hiccup turned around at the sounds of Fishlegs's voice, "I'd definitely go with the Gronckle."

    Hiccup looked at him weirdly, thinking just what the teen had to have thought about him if he thought Hiccup made Astrid collect them to watch him get eaten by a dragon. Behind Astrid and Fishlegs were the other three popular teens of Berk; Snotlout, Hiccup's cousin who simply couldn't have been a bigger bully in their childhood than he was, and the twins everyone thought was simply born to serve Loki; Ruffnut and Tuffnut who somehow never got mixed up so far (it might have to do something with their different hairstyles or helmets), who even now had a smile and glint of mischief in their eyes.

    Tuffnut walked up to Hiccup swiftly, pushing his twin out of the way and leaned in so close that Hiccup had to lean back and heard Toothless shift and growl faintly from somewhere behind him.

    "You were wise to seek help from the world's most deadly weapon," Tuffnut said mysteriously, wriggling his fingers before his face. "That's me," he clarified when Hiccup didn't say anything.

    "Uh..." And even after Tuffnut's declaration of being the most deadly weapon Hiccup didn't know what to say.

    Snotlout's wide and stubby hand pushed Tuffnut aside by the face.

    "I love this plan!" he said sarcastically, faking his enthusiasm for all it's worth.

    "I didn't-" Hiccup began timidly, but when Ruffnut took Snotlout's place way too close for comfort, Hiccup trailed off into silence.

    "You're crazy," Ruffnut said bluntly and leaned even closer. "I like that..." she added in a flirty whisper.

    Visibly and emotionally flustered and slightly angered by the mocking he was receiving, Hiccup took a step back and muttered incoherently under his breath until Astrid grabbed one of Ruffnut's strangely out-sticking braids and pulled her behind herself.

    "So." Astrid put her hands on her hips, keeping a respectful distance from Hiccup unlike the rest. "What is the plan?"

    Now smiling shyly, Hiccup turned to look at the teens before him.

    "If he even has one," Snotlout commented, which made Tuffnut and Ruffnut cackle with laughter.

    Scowling, Hiccup straightened his back and pushed his shoulders back like he saw his father – he felt a pang in his heart as he realized he had no longer had any family left – do when speaking to a crowd that wouldn't listen to him.

    "Hey bud," Hiccup said clearly, knowing that he needn't speak loudly for Toothless to hear him clearly. "Could you come here and introduce yourself?"

    "Ah, and now he's talking to the air. No wonder not even Loki wants him as a follower," Tuffnut said snidely.

    "Yeah," Ruffnut agreed lazily.