Chapter 22 - F(l)ight For Freedom

You know, for the most of it, I'm not against fire. In fact, I quite enjoy it: the beauty, the warmth, the power; all of it is intoxicating in the best way possible.

   Right now though, I'd rather be in the water than being grilled alive as an appetizer for my Alpha. Is she even my Alpha anymore? Well, if I have any say in it she isn't.

   "Oh come on, there's no way this thing won't get burned away before I get fried," I growled, throwing my head around, pushing it against the ground, trying to remove the thing that kept my snout shut.

   "Oh the moment I'm free..." I thought bitterly, trying to ignore the awfully distracting and disturbing squealing of the two Scalelesses who were stupid enough to stay.

   "You'll be mine for the last time," her highness hissed, the snarl echoing maddeningly in my head and hurting my ears.

   "I was never yours!"

   "You would like to believe that, wouldn't you?" she purred, then roared aloud and shook her head when the leader of the Scalelesses threw a stick – or was it a leafless tree? – at her, barely missing her eye.

   "Pests!" she roared and lowered her head to look at the Scalelesses that were defying her.

   "Let me out so this'll be a fair fight, you overgrown mountain eel!" I wished to roar but it turned into a fierce growl trying to push against my restraints and free myself – the fire was inching closer mercilessly and I am no farther from it than when it had barely begun to attack my restricted residence.

   "Oh, don't you worry, I'll finish them off soon enough and then I'll play with my food for a little," she growled at me.

   "I'd like to see you try, eelbrain!" I whined as the fire came uncomfortably close.

   "You defied me once, and you won't do it again!" she hollered, standing onto her hind legs and bellowing madly before collecting the gas in her mouth.

   The high pitched sound of a Night Wing's flight pierced through my ears.

   "Wait- Toothless?" I began looking around, trying to spot him and Hiccup in the bellowing smoke. "TOOTHLESS!"

   "You're friend isn't here to help you now, is-"

   Before she could finish her snarl, the back of her neck exploded in the same, intoxicating fire as the one that burned around me momentarily. She was forced to lower her head and body towards the ground as another shot barely missed her head and hit the water farther down the collection of floating logs.

   "Toothless!" I snarled weakly, watching as he, Hiccup and another group of dragons with Scalelesses on their backs began attacking her highness.

   I could hear Hiccup squealing loudly, his meek voice barely reaching my ears, but from the looks of how the group – of which he and Toothless were the leaders – split up after he was done, they understood him clearly. The Double Trouble went straight for the head – barely avoiding the fate of their brethren that they weren't here to witness a few days ago.

   The Lava Spitter and Firestarter went for the head as well, but in a much smarter way. Instead of facing her face on, they went from the side and hovered there. I could see the Scalelesses that sat atop their backs waving shields and fake claws; banging them together.

   "The only Scaled here with no help is you!" I snarled in my mind, just to confuse her even more.

   "You little- BRATS!" She roared again, shaking her head as if flies were disturbing her downtime.