Chapter 17 - Complicated Confrontation

"Silence it!" Stoick ordered gruffly, waving his huge hand at the dragon. "And make sure you secure it well, we cannot allow it to cause any more trouble than it already has." He looked down at the dragon, which upon noticing his gaze, snarled as much as it could with its snout sealed shut.

   "And you," Stoick rounded on an already shaking Hiccup, "and I are gonna share a little talk in the Great Hall."

   Hiccup gulped.

   "C'mon lass, this is theirs to discuss," Gobber patted Astrid's shoulder and pulled her away.

   Before she left, Astrid turned to Hiccup and squeezed his shoulder.

   "Good luck," Astrid whispered to Hiccup and turned away to follow Gobber.

   "Thanks," Hiccup mumbled after her, doing everything in his power to delay his and his father's talk.

   "You... Have a lot of explaining to do," Stoick rumbled as he grabbed Hiccup by his arm, and began to tug him after himself towards the Great Hall.

   Hiccup tried many a times to call his father's name, to stop him before they reached the Great Hall, just so he could explain in the safety of other vikings' sight. Every attempt, however, was either met with a stubbornly silent Stoick, a harsh glare over broad, fur cloak-clad shoulders, or a gruff sentence that sounded somewhat like "Not now.", or "This is a private discussion between you and me, son.".

   Just in front of the tall, menacing doors that have never filled Hiccup with more dread before, he gave one last attempt at getting his father to stop and listen to him.

   "Dad- Dad please, we don't need to go in there, we can- we can talk here, just-"

   "Silence." And yet Stoick was having none of it. "I said we're gonna talk in the Great Hall, so in the Great Hall we'll talk."

   "But-"

   "Hiccup," Stoick said strictly, an Hiccup, horror-stricken still with what had just happened (he expected to get burnt alive, or by some miracle get saved by Toothless, not to have a full-blown rescue mission conducted and executed by (Y/n)), closed his mouth and kissed his teeth, thinking already of what he could say that would satisfy his fuming father.

   Stoick wretched one of the gigantic doors open with his free hand and thrusted Hiccup inside with the other.

   "I should have known; I should have seen the signs," Stoick muttered angrily to himself, continuing to ignore Hiccup's pleas.

   "Dad-"

   Stoick rounded on Hiccup, his face red with anger. "We had a deal!" he exclaimed.

   "I know we did," Hiccup said miserably, "but that was before..." He tugged at the roots of his auburn hair and groaned. "Oh, it's all so messed up!"

   Stoick stopped his pacing to face his son, eyebrows pulled together angrily.

   "So everything in the ring... a trick? A lie?" he demanded hotly, stepping closer to Hiccup, who, in a moment of fright, took a few steps back.

   "I screwed up," Hiccup admitted. "I should've told you before now." Not receiving any angry comments, he gestured to himself with both his hands, and with a resigned expression that knew what kind of disappointment and dishonor he'd have to face, he continued hastily, "Take this out on me, be mad at me, but please... just don't hurt (Y/n)."

   "The dragon?" Stoick repeated incredulously as he thought of the great black beast as it got ready to ends his life without a second thought. "That's what you're worried about?"