Chapter 4 - Not the Only One

Waking up with a grumble is not my favorite way to start a day. And if there are Pack Scorchers* nipping at my scales, it makes me even more cold and frustrated than I already am.

   Finally losing my patience, I growl a warning to make them leave. When they don't I open my eyes and heat some gas up in my mouth, ready to fire at them.

   Hearing the sound of the gas being heated, they scatter away, terrified out of their scales.

   "That's right." I huff. "Know your places."

   They growled back, as if their tiny pack of six would scare a Night Wing* like me. I released a throaty snarl, scaring them off of my platform.

   "Don't ever again step another claw on my platform, Pack Scorchers!" I roar after them as a final warning.

   The loud clatter of claws and legs landing on my platform alert me, and in an instant I'm standing up in a defensive position, ready to attack any intruder. I growl when I see the Lava Spitter* that claimed my sheep as his own.

   "What do you want?" I snarl.

   "Because of you, I'll have to deliver twice as much after the next raid." He growled, his yellow eyes trying to pierce my scales in the luminous cavern. "And because I failed, I can't sleep on my platform anymore."

   "How does that concern me?" I grumble, starting to circle him.

   "I came to take your platform." He snarled. "Since I lost mine because of you."

   "Tough luck, buddy. Every scaled is for themselves, wether you like it or not." I growled lowly, my voice taking on a dangerous edge. "And I'm sure you could smell my scent on that sheep."

   "I didn't care much. As long as I had it, I was safe." He grumbled. "And now I'm not."

   "I'm not giving my platform to you just because your family cast you out. Go find a new one. Or make a new one."

   He didn't back down, and I wasn't backing down either. Our banter gathered quite the audience, but they were out of my focus; I had zeroed in on the Lava Spitter.

   He roared, lunging at me at such a slow pace, that I swear I could've eaten a whole yak while he did it. Jumping over him with ease, I fire a warning shot; barely missing his maw. But it seemed like that wasn't enough either.

   He fired at me, the lava hardening on the smooth surface of my platform. "That's it!" I roared at the top of my voice. "No scaled ruins my platform!"

   I jumped at him, pinning his round form onto the ground with ease. Leaning dangerously close to his neck, I bared my teeth in a snarl as a display of my power over him.

   "Leave." I demanded in a rumbling voice.

   I got off him, keeping my defensive pose up in case if he wanted to try anything funny. It all proved unneeded when he scrambled to his feet, zooming off with his small wings; creating a blur. I looked around myself, spotting at least twelve other scaled who watched the show.

   "Get caught!*" I snarled with slitted eyes, frustrated beyond words that can explain.

   Every scaled scrambled off, leaving me to my timing nerves. My fuming nerves were deemed much better company a few second later, when a guttural voice called my name.

  B"Y/n!"

   It was our queen.

   Grumbling, is good at the edge of my platform, ready to talk to a cloud of red smoke. "Yes, your highness?" But showed respect and bowed my head.

   "You've led the raid well, my child." She growled up, her booming voice hurting my sensitive hearing. "But you must answer this one question for me."

   "Yes, your highness?" I reply, holding back an eyeroll.

   "When you returned, you had an unfamiliar scent coating your scales." She began, and I immediately stiffened up at the topic. "Who was the scaled?"

   "No one of importance, your highness." Speaking in such a formal way had to be forced when it came to must scaled, but some like me had an even harder time with the proper wording she requested. "He had been shot down, proving his uselessness. He was slow and unfocused."

   A low grumble let me know that she was thinking about my answer.

   "So be it. Until he causes no problems, I don't care what happens to him." She answered after a small pause.

   I almost growled when she finished talking and let me go back to sleeping. Just as I laid down, purring softly my head shot up along with my body.

       "I'm not the only Night Wing!"