9. Making Amends

Prim sat on her bed, stitching away at Kitty's gown. She hadn't left the room at all except to prepare breakfast. She'd have to leave to make supper shortly. Captain Flynn sat at his desk, looking over his maps.

"That town...what was it called?" Prim asked finally. "I saw a slave auction. They were selling witches. I didn't see any Faeries. I didn't even believe in them before yesterday."

"Latro," he replied without looking up. "It was built by pirates a few hundred years ago."

"In Valence?" Captain Flynn nodded. "Why haven't the Kingsmen burned it to the ground?"

"They have. Latro has been destroyed five times since its creation. Every time the Crown burns it, it gets rebuilt. They leave us alone now. It's is a sort of haven for pirates."

"It didn't seem like a haven to me," Prim laughed. "More like a pigsty."

"Everything is a pigsty in your mind, Darling."

"If you don't trust Ms. Harriet, why did you tell her I was your wife? Wouldn't that put an even bigger target on my back? Yours too, for that matter."

Captain Flynn shook his head. "Ms. Harriet has a soft spot for brides. She was supposed to be married several years ago, but her fiancé killed himself the night before their wedding. She's gone by Ms. ever since and everyone knows her compassion for brides."

"All the same, wouldn't she sell us out if she could?"

"Of course. She's a pirate. That's why I never told her your name. She knows I have Lord Claremonte's daughter as a captive, but she would never believe I'd marry her. For all she knew, you were just some harlot I swept off the streets and fell in love with."

Prim grimaced. "A comforting thought."

"By now, she's likely told everyone in Latro that Captain Flynn is married. We'll keep that as a cover story if we do make port again before your ransom is paid. Everyone will believe the story. If Ms. Harriet says something, it's the truth."

"Again, doesn't that put a bullseye on our backs?"

"Only a fool of a pirate would attack Mrs. Caspian Flynn," he laughed. Then, his voice became more somber. "I protect what's mine and the world knows it."

Prim bit her lip, running his words over in her mind. She continued to sew. "And what about the crew?" She sighed, recalling the many glares she'd received on her way down to the galley this morning. "Despite the story you told, I'm convinced they all know what really happened. They either guessed it or someone told them the truth. Can they be trusted?"

"If they know the truth, it means someone disobeyed my orders. No one on this ship disobeys me."

"Except for me," Prim countered. He arched an eyebrow. "Privileges of being the Captain's wife."

Caspian rolled his eyes, but smiled. "You can win the crew over, not to worry. Most of them were starting to like you anyway. Feed them, insult them, and do as you're asked. That will earn you their loyalty. A little rum never hurts either." Prim nodded, setting Kitty's dress aside. She made her way towards the door. "Have you thought about what I said?" Captain Flynn asked.

"About this being a chance at freedom?" He nodded. "I have."

"And what have you decided?" Caspian kicked his feet up onto the desk, waiting for her to answer.

Prim narrowed her eyes, watching him. She breezed over to his desk and swiped his leather canteen. He simply watched as she uncorked it and took a large mouthful. She bent over and belched. Captain Flynn closed his eyes and his shoulders shook with laughter. He took the canteen from her. Prim smiled as she left.