39: Trial by trial

The week passed quickly, the only notable thing were the sleepovers held by Izuku and her friends as well as Mei's court order against her old family coming in, incidentally it was right before Izuku's hearing. No-one thought it was by chance but they had no evidence to back them up.

'Izu... I'm... I'm scared' Mei said holding her girlfriends gooped up hand in front the courthouse.

'Mei... everything will be ok! Trust me.'

Mei nodded as Izuku signalled her three authority figures to follow them as they made their way to courtroom 6, the complete opposite end to courtroom 2 where Izuku would be sitting her trial.

'All rise for the honorable judge.'

The people complied until the woman made her way over to the podium, seating herself as everyone followed suit.

'Court is now in session.'

The case started out normally, however both parties were separated and the defendants, being the Hatsume's chained with their legs to the floor using quirk cuffs. They both gave their opening statements, bringing up laws to counteract each other until witnesses started to be called.

'Miss...' The prosecutors lawyer started

'Quay, Miss Quay.' The lady in the stand replied

The man nodded, 'You've lived next to the Hatsume's for how long now?'

'14 years, slightly after little Mei was born' She cooed, 'I can still remember her running up to meet me as I moved in.

The man nodded, 'And can you say that things changed with the girl over time.'

The lady fell silent for a moment as she thought before answering, 'Honestly... yes. After her fourth birthday she seemed... less happy. Though I di regarded it a year later once she went back to normal, I just assumed she wasn't happy with her quirk... but...' she trailed off

'But?'

'There was always a hint of fear and sadness in her eyes... I don't know how to say it but she never seemed truly... happy? Does that make sense?'

The man nodded, 'That's all your honor.' He turned to return to his seat but didn't reach it before the lady called out

'WAIT!' Everyone turned to look at her, 'I just remembered... it might not mean anything but... whenever the Hatsume's called for her to return, she always froze up slightly shaking...'

The man nodded, 'Thank you, may the court take note this lady, although not being related to my client obviously cares a great deal for her.'

He took his seat as the defendants lawyer took control, 'Miss Quay, did the Hatsume's ever give you direct proof they were abusing or neglecting their daughter?'

'Well not dir-.'

'Answer the question please.'

'No, nothing obvious.'

'Is it also true that they have two other children who have no problems whatsoever at all.'

'Yes b-'

'So is it entirely possible that this girl is overreacting to harsh but fair parenting.'

'NO! She was the happiest and kindest girl I ever knew, to make her that scared...'

'No further questions your honor' She said returning to her seat but not before shooting a smirk and Mei's lawyer, Izuku saw this and frowned, leaning over to him to ask,

'Did you buy out the other side?'

The man was taken aback but composed himself, 'No! Heavens no, when she took the case she knew nothing but once she did she was already bound by a strict contract. So she may or may not have contacted me to inform me of her distain, obviously she's not fighting for them but she still has to act like it. Don't worry she literally won't let them win.'