Chapter 36: A New Threat

Aichi's POV

After separating with Ren, me and Gaillard set off for the land of the Gold Paladins. "Oh yeah Aichi, I forgot to ask you before but shouldn't your destination be the Royal Paladin clan?" Gaillard asked out of the blue. "Actually, Blaster Blade said that I am still one of the two Gold Paladin Vanguards so I have to interact with them as well. I'll head to the Royal Paladins after two and a half days." I said.

"Wait, one of the two vanguards? There's another one?"

"The other one would be you of course. Isn't that why we're both here?"

"Ooops, I forgot. Sorry!"

"You don't have to apologize Gaillard. It's not like you did anything wrong." He didn't reply anymore. After a few minutes, we were at the home land of the Gold Paladins.

"Welcome, our Vanguards, to the land of the Gold Paladins." Percival suddenly spoke. The moment he said that, the units stopped what they were doing and surrounded us.

Gaillard's POV

"Uhhhhhhhh... what just happened?" After we've been surrounded by the Gold Paladins, the Liberators, save those from the Royal Paladin, came in and guided us to their castle. Both me and Aichi couldn't process what happened next. Now, we are at a big table with a feast fit for a king.

"You have had a long day, our Vanguards. It is best if you rest for today. Training will start tomorrow." Percival then left us alone, speechless. "I have no idea how to respond to that." Aichi said.

For the rest of the day, we had nothing to do but explore this place. Luckily, Merron was there to give us a tour (and a quick view in the history of each of the places.) Finally, she showed us to our rooms for the week. Aichi and I have separate bedrooms but luckily, he's was just next to mine. After everything that's happened today, I felt exhausted so I quickly went to the bed and let sleep take me.

Percival's POV

"Are you planning to hide forever or do you want to come out and show yourself?" After separating with the Vanguards, I went to see an old friend. Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel is known as one of the bravest Gold Paladin units as well as our leader so I don't understand why he's afraid to appear before our Vanguards. "Is there something you want to do before seeing Aichi Sendou?"

"It's not that... it's just... I don't know what to do anymore." Ezel sighed. There's no point in asking so I just let him decide whether to continue or not. Of course, Platina Ezel knew me too much not to notice. "I'll tell you after the first training. Right now, I would appreciate it if you'd give me time to think."

The next day...

Aichi's POV

For some reason, I felt an awkward atmosphere with Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel. He wouldn't talk to me no matter what I do until we reach the field. "This is where we are to train, my Vanguard." Ezel said.

》》time skip《《

Due to the strange atmosphere, we hadn't done much today. Ezel seemed to be avoiding me but I still don't understand why.

Ezel's POV

"You seriously didn't talk to him the whole day?" Percival said after I gave my report. "Not 'the whole day'. Just most of the day." I replied.

"Is something the matter with the Vanguard you've been assigned to? I mean, Master Aichi's not bad but why don't you want to form a close bond with him?"

"It's not him." I sighed. "Aichi Sendou is the greatest Vanguard I could have ever been assigned to. It's just, I don't know what to do. We've got but half a week to pass this and I just wasted our first day. I don't think I can form an unbreakable bond with him in a day and a half."