The Bird Scene Part 2

We were in Acting Class doing an exercise when Sikowitz stopped us, he motioned us to take our seats and we did, except Tori.

"The time has come for our newest student to tackle... The bird scene" he pointed to Tori but then the rest of the class looked at me.

"What about Everest?" a guy at the back, Jake, questioned.

"Ah, yes Everest West, Hollywood Arts first-ever student to complete the bird scene on her first day and first try" whispers of disbelief rang throughout the classroom along with awe "I checked the school's history just to be sure" slowly clapping started and they congratulated me "Alright Tori, the stage is yours" we turned our gaze to the girl "Though you can't take it home".

"Can I ask you a few questions before I start? So..." she started but was interrupted by Sikowitz.

"Just do your best. Action" he ran to the back of the class and sat on an empty desk then started drinking coconut milk.

"Okay. It was 1934 when my husband left me. Alone, living on the prairie was a dreary existence" she narrated "No telephone, no radio. Only a large, majestic bird with whom I shared my feelings" I zoned out her monologue "One day when I was feeling low, I said to him, "Oh bird, you can fly. You can soar miles from this lonely place, yet you stay. Why?" I yawned and leaned my head onto Beck's arm, which he placed around my shoulders and pulled me into his embrace, I stiffened but slowly relaxed "And apparently, my question rang true, for that afternoon the bird left. And so went my spirit" she bent her head signifying the end of her performance but no one said anything "How was that?" and there was the reason why they fail, they have no confidence in themselves so they ask for feedback.

"What do you mean?" Sikowitz asked.

"Did I do the scene right?"

"No, not at all" he stood making his way to her.

"Okay, then what'd I do wrong?" she was ignored

"You'll have to perform the scene again tomorrow and get it right, or else you cannot be in Andre's play or any other," he told her as he led her to her seat.

"But can you tell me what I did wrong?" she pressed further.

"No, I can't".

"I don't get any feedback?". Finally, she got it.

"That is correct".

"But..." she tried but got cut off.

"Drive-By acting exercise, you're all terrified dolphins" everyone got to their feet and started jumping around making what they thought were dolphin noises while I stayed seating watching them.

"Come on! How am I supposed to do the scene right if no one will tell me what I did wrong? I thought you guys were my friends" Tori whined causing me to freeze, that was what Maya and Riley used to do to get attention and me in trouble.

"I'm not your friend" Jade and I spoke, my tone coming out colder than normal, which both my sister and Beck noticed, their talking turned into mumbles as my sight grew hazy.

Jade's POV

I saw my sister zone out and went closer to her, Beck also turned his attention to her, he called her name but got no response, I held her hand and instantly she squeezed mine. My eyes widened and I turned to Beck.

"Carry her!" I yelled gaining the other's attention, he responded and lifted her into his arms "Follow me" we ran to Lane's office and when he saw us he pointed to the door on his left. We entered and Beck laid her down, I rolled her onto her side and watched as her breathing slowly started to return to normal.

"What happened?" Lane inquired.

"I don't know, everything was fine but then she went rigid" I sat beside my sister.

"It's okay Jade, you got her here without it turning major" he smiled "I'll call your father, she's okay now" he left and saw Beck staring at Eve.

"What was that Jade?" he questioned causing me to sigh.

"Did Eve tell you about her life before she moved here?" I asked and he nodded.

"A little bit, why?".

"Dad and I got her to go through a physical and some other tests and it turns out she has a minor anxiety problem" he looked at me with eyes widened "She has medication but her type of anxiety needs a trigger".

"You don't know what the trigger is" he realized.

"No, we know it has something to do with her past but it could be a word, a phrase, or something else and we wouldn't know" we stared at the girl who had fallen asleep "And we can't ask her because she won't remember having the attack but she's always vulnerable when she comes to or wakes up" I checked the time "Can you stay with her? I'm going to tell the teachers what happened and call Dad, she won't wake for an hour or so".

"I wasn't going to leave either way" I smiled at him and watch as he sat beside the bed and then held her hands in his.

"Don't hurt her" he looked at me confused but I kept eye contact with him "It will not be good for you if you hurt her" as he nodded I knew he understood what I meant. I left and went to class, I stayed to get the notes and any homework that the teachers will give for both Beck and Eve, as the bell rung I went back to Lane's office to see Eve awake and in Beck's arms "Eve" she turned to me.

"Jay" I was by her side and pulled her into my arms, I felt her relax "She sounded like them" I pulled away "She was whining like them, they did that to get me in trouble".

"You remembered?" she nodded in confirmation, my mind went back to what happened and I got the answers I needed "It's okay Eve, you're okay" I smiled faintly at her, then the door opened showing our father.

"Daddy" he gave a small smile.

"Hey Kiddo, the principal says I can take you and Jade home early" she nodded and went to his side.

"I'll get copies of the work for you guys," Beck told me.

"Thanks, you can drop them off at the house" he nodded and looked at Eve with concern "Don't worry, I'll keep you updated" He left after I said that.