Strictly Business~ Recorders and Nostalgia

R

     E

     Visa

     E

     N

     G

     E

     FINAL PHASE

     Weston and I sit among the disheveled ballroom of mess, silent.  Tristan is held to our left by one of the bouncers not blocking the exits near the stage, every so often struggling beneath the strong man’s grip.  Jackson and his father are sitting in front of us all, narrowing their eyes, but keeping a grin on their faces.  The desire to go full-on ninja on their butts is overwhelming. 

     “Well, if anything,” Richard says after a few moments.  “I must admit you two are quite smart.  Coming up with a whole plan like this to destroy the event.  And the flash mob.  I have to say that I do admire your intelligence.”

     Weston rolls his eyes next to me. 

     “But apparently you weren’t smart enough to know to keep your mouth shut until you got into a more private place.  Maybe then, this whole thing would’ve turned out the way you wanted.”

      I watch Weston jam his hands into his pants pockets in anger.  I don’t say anything, just like he doesn’t.  Yet again, we’re in another position where we’re screwed, and there seems to be no way out.

     “But then again,” Richard continues.  “Involving yourselves in adult business wasn’t too smart to begin with.”

     “Involving ourselves?”  I can’t help but blurt out the words.  “You’ve involved us!  You involved us from the very moment you told Jackson to be my friend.  Don’t you dare try to push the blame on either one of us.”

     Jackson chuckles.  “Us?  Last time I checked, no one was after Weston.  I already did what I needed to do to him a long time ago.  You involved Weston.  We were only after you.  So the pain that he will suffer behind this is your fault.”

     He did have a point. I involved Weston.  I wanted to break him and Kristina up.  If I hadn’t of made Weston my fake boyfriend, he wouldn’t be in this situation right now.

     “Wrong.”  Weston says, answering Jackson, but also answering me at the same time.  “I involved myself.  I knew from the very beginning how I was going to do this.  I was planning on taking you down with Addelyn’s help from the very day we vowed to be a couple.”

     “Then that makes you an idiot.”  Jackson says.  “Do you know what we can do?  What I can do?”