Strictly Business~First Dates and First Lies

“Why did I agree to this?”

     “Stop your whining and just do it.”

     “I can’t, Addelyn.  This is too mentally and physically strenuous.  We should just stop now.”

     “Absolutely not.  If you want Kristina, you have to prove to her that you’re a changed man… or boy.  And the only way she’s going to believe it is if you start treating women with some respect.  So do it.”

     Weston grabs my hand, staring me straight in the eyes.  “I, Weston Brooks, take you, Addelyn Cooper, to be my lawfully wedded fake girlfriend, to begrudgingly have and to unwillingly hold, from this day forward, for better, or most likely worse, for richer, or poorer, in sickness and in health, until Prom do us part.”

     I wipe away fake tears from my eyes.  “I, Addelyn Cooper, take you, Weston Brooks, to be lawfully wedded fake boyfriend, my partner in crime and my only false love.  I’ll probably won’t cherish anything, but I will hate you more each day than I did the day before.  I won’t ever trust you or respect you, but I will laugh at you, cry because of you, pretending to love you faithfully in the eyes of all our classmates.  I unfortunately give you my hand, my hatred, and my false love, from this day forward, until Prom do us part.”

     Jocelyn passes a white sack filled with mini powdered donuts.  I open it and pass one to Weston.  He stares down at it, lips curled in distain.   “With this calorie-fat-filled mini donut, I thee wed.”

     We both take a bite of the sugary snack, sealing our commitment.  Jocelyn, the witness to this entire ordeal, turns towards Weston.  “You may now kiss your fake girlfriend.”

     “NO!”  I say.

     “I’d rather peel off my toenails.”  Weston says. 

     Jocelyn rolls her eyes.  “Fine, you may now… shake hands with your fake girlfriend.”

     He is reluctant, but slowly shakes my hand.  I rummage through my bag, grabbing the folded piece of paper I prepared last night.  I slide it to Weston.  “This is our contractual agreement.  Simply put, this states that neither one of us are allowed to step outside of our relationship bonds.  So, Weston, that means unless its Kristina, you aren’t allowed to flirt, touch, or kiss any other girl.  If you do, you’ll be subjected to one of the many punishments listed in the contract.”

     He flips through the pages.  “I can’t even read this.  What size is this font?  2?” 

     “You don’t need to worry about reading anything.  Just sign at the bottom.”  I rush, pointing towards the empty line at the bottom.  He glares up at me for a second, before scribbling his name on the bottom.  I fold up the paper, and place it in my bag with a smile.  “Very well.  We are now an official couple.”

     “Is that it?  Can I go now?  People are starting to stare.”  He says, making me look around at the cafeteria.  There are people staring, probably shocked at the fact Weston and I aren’t jumping down each other’s throats.  I’m shocked myself, really. 

     “Fine, you may go.”  I dismiss him, watching him just about run to his usual lunch table, a mixture of football and basketball jocks.  I turn towards Jocelyn who stares at me with a grin on her face.

     “You’re really determined, aren’t you?”  

     I nod.  “I’m in love, Jocelyn.  And I’m not going to let it slip through my fingers.”

     “So what’s the plan now?”  She asks, stuffing her mouth with a French fry.

     I crane my neck around, staring at Jackson and Kristina, who cuddle in each other’s arms.  “Now, it’s time for a little confrontation.  I’m no longer a single woman.”