Strictly Business~ Weston's Abdomen and Kitchen Fires

R

     Education

     V

     E

     N

     G

     E

     INTERLUDE

     I don’t know what to make of the look in Weston’s eyes.  Maybe I should be excited, because I’ve seen that look before, but it has never exactly been directed to me.  Yes, I believe excitement would be a plausible reaction to this look, most likely because I’m getting the vibe he’s about to kiss me. 

     But oddly enough, the only reaction I have is fear.  Because those eyes—those deep dark orbs of his—they are saying something.  They are telling me to shut up and listen, because whatever is about to come out of his mouth is going to be quite interesting for me to hear.  I jump a bit, as he grabs my hand, focusing his eyes on me.  He eventually pulls his hand away though, reaching up to tuck a stray hair behind my ear. 

     “Addelyn,” my name rolls off his tongue like sweet honey.  Oh god, I’m losing it. 

     “Y-yes,” I say, shakily.

     He takes his hand, tracing my jaw with his thumb.  “May I ask you a very, very important question?”

     FIVE HOURS EARLIER…

     “Addelyn, I need to ask you a very, very important question.”  Jocelyn just about trips over her own feet as she runs over to me, latching onto my shoulder in a very painful way.

     “God, Joce,” I rub my tender shoulder.  “Break my arm off, why don’t you?”

     “I need guy advice.”  She says, blushing slightly.  “I know this sounds really weird coming from me, but there’s this guy that I’m beginning to really like.”

     I raise an eyebrow.  “Is that so?”

     Jocelyn’s not one to have many crushes.  I can probably count the total amount of guys she’s genuinely liked on one hand.  She’s always been one to spend more time humoring me on my crushes than to have one of her own.

     “He’s so educated, you know.  Like one of those mannerly types.  And I’m definitely not one of those girls, so I don’t know how I’ll relate to someone like him.”  She bites on her thumbnail.  “You’re an expert on turning yourself into something you’re not just to get the attention of a guy.  So, I was hoping you’d give me a few tips.”

     Now, I’m intrigued.  “And may I ask who this guy is?”

     She shifts in her shoes.  “That’s not really important.  Just help me out.”

     “Well, the best thing you can do is to be yourself.”  I say.

     She rolls her eyes.  “Don’t give me that Disney crap.  Do you think I should start wearing dresses?  Maybe take these streaks out of my hair?” 

     Streaks.  Melted skittles.  I jerk around towards her.  “This is about Chris, isn’t it?  You have a crush on Chris.”

     She stares at me for a few seconds, before laughing loudly.  “Chris?  Have you lost your mind?  I was talking about my mailman.”