Chapter 30

Castriel's POV

"It's all over! all over, Castriel!" Caleb walked back forth, bashing everything he sees in reach. Miranda and (y/n) was last seen going out of the woods, after hours upon hours of no sightings of them we had to go scout the area to look for them.

To our terror, we only saw Miranda's decapitated body far back in the woods. Miranda turned to stone, and was crumbling into ashes. That doesn't happen often, but it surely was no regular monster. "It's that (y/n)! I knew I shouldn't have trusted her! She did all this, Castriel!" Caleb shook both of my shoulders in distress.

"I don't think she did it, Caleb!" I snapped back, taking a stride forward. He laughed in response with a following groan, he sat down on the bed and gave a firm pressure on his wound at his side of the chest.

His eyes looked at me with death lingering beneath it, "How should I trust that? She might have just pretended to be our ally!" Caleb sneered, looking away from me with a woeful look.

"(Y/n) would never be allies with those monsters, Caleb! She never wanted to become one, she didn't even-" Caleb's eyes suddenly turned to me as my words trailed off, I accidentally said too much again. I cursed under my breath, looking down on the floor.

"You knew? She was a fucking monster? It all makes sense now, Castriel!" he stood up and picked up the stake that he threw to the ground from his ruckus earlier. "I'll plunge this stake to her heart, Castriel. I'm gonna make her pay for what she did to Miranda!"

"It wasn't her, Caleb! It was something else. The reason we couldn't retrieve Miranda's body was because she was crumbling into ashes," I explained in a panic, making Caleb stop. I stared for a moment with his eyes on me, staring.

"If we can just find (y/n), she still has a chance to be like us! We just have to-" Caleb roared a laugh, as if what I just said was witticism. "If you won't help, then you're useless to talk to, Caleb." I glared at his direction, exiting out of the tent.

I felt the cold breeze passing by me, each individuals all gathered up in the center of the bonfire. Some closed their eyes, mumbling prayers while the others hummed the same song that Miranda would always sing to herself. I've heard it multiple times from her and I instantly recognized that same humming.

A quiet suspire came out as I mourn in a distance.

I looked away and swiftly went inside Miranda's tent. Her cauldron was still warm, the stakes all lined up in parchment paper as if she was always there.

I bit back a cry, focusing my attention to the drawers instead. A silver padlock dangled on the small iron bars. With a knife, I thrust it in and after a few twists and turns, I heard a Click! sound.

When I opened the drawer, I was met with a large, leather book. It seemed to have not been touch for a while now. I picked it up with caution, glancing at the curtains of the tent every now and then.

I sat down on the ground, hiding beneath the wooden table. I dusted off the particles on the book, it seemed to have been worn out and bursting with all the extra paper and seeping inks. I turned the cover of the leather book, looking through each cursive letters.

Each and every one was about the bloodsucking creatures themselves. Someone out there must have been studying them for a long time, I thought to myself. The book made me feel like I just found the light at the end of the tunnel, every page I turn to had unimaginable knowledge and their terrors or stupendous adventures.

Silver, fire, crosses, sanctified water, heat, lack of blood.

Those were their weaknesses which was pretty obvious, though we all thought some were just a myth. "Cute book you got there." I heard a voice from above the table, bursting my astonishment but before I could even yell, sharp hands covered my mouth as she put her index finger up to her lips.