Chapter 36

Castriel's POV

Cross. That was it. The cross.

"Everyone! Veronica! Simon! Leo!" I called, plunging my sword through another vampire's eye as he staggered backward. They all looked at me, "The cross! Get the other people and turn the cross!" I said in demand, trying my best to look braver, more strong.

"You're a disappointment, Castriel Owens! You don't even deserve our family name! You're a letdown!"

Those words echoed in my ear, the words that I wish to shove in his mouth. In one swift movement, I took the poisoned stake out of my bag and stabbed the vampire in the heart, blood-splattered to my cheek as I pushed him out of my sight.

I ran towards Mark, one of the leaders from the other camps, with a slice to the head with my silver sword, the female vampire limped to the floor. "Close call." I chuckled, we both exchanged a quiet laugh as he struck the red-haired vampire a stake to the heart.

Mark was one of the figures I always looked forward seeing to, he was a good man, unlike my father who treated me like garbage. He was a tall, tanned man in his 50s and was already showing signs of gray hair from his jet black hair, but his muscular build wasn't something I should worry about.

He was once in the military and spent most of his time in war and bloodshed, so knowing that he would be accompanying us in battle gave me some relief.

"What are you gon' do with the cross, Cast?" He asked with a raised brow, dodging the monster that lunged forward. I stepped back and severed his head, he grasps on my feet but eventually let's go. "I read from Miranda's book that crosses can weaken these vamps, if we just do that then we might have a chance!" I replied in a huff after two vamps tried to apprehend me.

"Worth a shot, boy!" he said in salute, running towards the cross with the others. I looked around the cathedral, scanning for any threat. I saw Claudia fighting with a man, with his fibrous physique, no doubt will Claudia lose.

I didn't even notice that I was going towards them when I stopped, four eyes laid on me as I bit down my lip. There was no backing out now. "For Christ's sake man, leave the lady alone." I rolled my eyes, dodging his fist that almost struck me in the face.

"Is this what you're teaming up with, Claudia? A limp?" he laughed, taking satisfaction in his insult, "Ouch." I replied, swinging my silver sword to budge his eye. He clutched it with his strong hand as I heard a hiss of pain coming from him.

I plunged even futher, blood drawing from his sliced palm with smoke coming beneath it. He let go and stepped back, making me run to the wall and huff. I turned around just in time before he could strike me down with his sharp claws. I bent down and rolled to my left, Claudia did a swift motion with her sharp claw, tearing from his back with a groan.

I got up and plunged the stake right at his chest, making him go down to his knees, cursing me one last time. We gazed up at each other, a faint blush coming across Claudia's cheek. "I...I didn't need your help, Castriel." she glared with her arms crossed, "You know there's a word thank you, right?" I shrugged both of my shoulders.

"Thanks..." she whispered, but I heard her loud and clear. A smile came across my face as I turned my back from her, "Don't die!" I waved a hand and went to my comrade's help.

My heart skipped a beat from our encounter, and I could feel myself heating up. 'Bad timing.' I thought to myself, shaking those thoughts away for later.

I felt a claw strike my back as I fell on the floor, accidentally letting my guard down. I groaned in pain, cursing under my breath. I pushed my body around, dodging the blow of the brown-haired, female vampire.