missed chance (ross)

while sitting on the couch, you weren't paying attention to ross who was with monica and rachel in the kitchen while joey came over and took a seat next to you. you looked over at him from the television as you gave him a smile.

"hey, joey," you said, still looking at him as he smiled back at you. "you need something?"

he just smiled back at you, placing his arm on the couch behind you.

"what's up, joey?" you asked, looking up at him.

"look at him!" ross said as you and joey had a conversation. "he's all over her! he won't let her breathe!"

monica looked over at you enjoying being with joey and talking with him as she glanced back over to her brother.

"what's wrong with that?" she asked as rachel filled her in on what was currently happening with ross.

"ross has the biggest crush on ______," she explained as you stood up from talking to joey as you came over to get a drink while he followed you.

you turned to talk to him as ross shook his head.

you and joey left the apartment to go over to his place to find chandler as ross watched you two before talking with his friend and sister.

while he was talking with them, he got a drink from the fridge.

"i hope he's doing this just to mess with me," he said, causing rachel to exchange glances with monica.

"i'm not sure that's the case," monica said, causing her brother to furrow his brows in confusion.

"what?"

"i think joey really likes ______," rachel said. "i guess you two will just have to fight over the whole ordeal because i have a feeling i know what _______ will say."

ross sighed, taking a sip of the drink he had.

"what should i do?" he asked, monica shrugging in response.

"talk to her. you never do that, ross," she said. ross scoffed, interrupting her next thought with his own.

"i do too! i talked to ______ the other day-"

"not about dinosaurs or with the rest of us. just you two, one on one," she said, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"i'm not sure i know how to do that, monica," he said. "it's _______."

rachel laughed a little.

"she's the sweetest person ever, ross. it's not like she'll hurt you in any way," she chuckled, seeing you open the door as you came back over to the apartment and saw the group.

"hey, guys," you said, smiling at them as you grabbed a drink from the fridge as monica and rachel excused themselves. ross put on an annoyed face before they walked out of the room.

"you okay?" you asked ross, grabbing the paper from the kitchen table as you looked at it for a little before putting it back down and walking to the den.

he nodded.

"can we talk, ______?" he asked gently as you nodded.

"yeah, of course. what's up?" you asked.

ross came over to the couch and sat down as you furrowed your brows in confusion at his actions. he had left his drink in the kitchen, completely abandoning it as he came over to talk to you.

"______, you are sweet," he began as you chuckled a little.

"okay," you said, waiting for him to continue as he awkwardly smiled at you.

"i mean, like, you're so sweet that you and janice get dinner every wednesday because you didn't want her to feel left out," he said as you nodded slowly, waiting to see where this was going.

"so, my point is that i like you, _______," he said, waiting to see your reaction.

you nodded, looking off to the side as you let out a soft sigh.

"ross," you began. "if you had told me earlier," you muttered.

you looked back up at him shyly as he grew confused.

"what do you mean?" he asked as you awkwardly ran a hand through your hair.

"i'm seeing someone, ross," you told him sweetly, trying to let him down gently. "i wish you had told me so much sooner. rachel always mentioned stuff about you, but i assumed that she was just still in love with you."

ross just stared at you.

"who is it?" he asked.

"ross," you began, looking away from him as you stood up to leave, but he called your name again to get an answer.

"who is it, _______," he said, more of a demanding tone to know if it was who he thought it was.

your hand was on the doorknob as you were preparing to leave.

"joey," you said softly, looking over at him before leaving the room.

monica and rachel came out to see ross and pretend that they didn't just hear everything that happened between you and him.

"what happened?" monica asked.

"does she like you back?" rachel asked.

"she's seeing someone," ross muttered.

"i'm so sorry, ross," monica said, trying to comfort her brother.

"it's joey," he said. "she's seeing joey. she said that if i had only told her earlier."

"i know this isn't what you want to hear right now, ross," rachel began. "but, i told you so."

ross looked over at her with an annoyed look plastered on his face as monica just patted his shoulder.

"i'm sure they won't last," monica said. "i mean, it's joey. he'll do something dumb or he'll get with some other woman soon."

"mon," rachel said. "have you met joey? sure, he loves women a lot, and his love for sandwiches is even more, but he and ______ were friends first. he cares so much for his friends, he loves us all so much. it's going to be different with _______," she said as monica looked over at her.

"i'm just trying to help him over here," she said.

rachel shrugged.

"besides ______ is too sweet to break up with him. he'd have to do something really, really bad to make her break up with him."

ross hung his head.

"i missed it," he muttered. "i missed my chance."

rachel and monica shared looks before continuing to try and comfort ross.