1.8

CHAPTER EIGHT ORANGE SODA

***

       IT WAS REALLY NO SECRET THAT MAISIE ALVAREZ HATED BEING AROUND CHAOS.

       She preferred a secluded life with her sister and her best friends, and while she might have loved the Cullen's they were a lot. More specifically Alice, who was running around like a chicken without its head getting the last few things ready for the wedding that was just several hours away.

       Penny too had started to become insufferable to be around still brooding about the Imprint situation and complaining "quietly" to the only other person who felt the same way as her; Rosalie. Rosalie and Maisie might not have been the greatest of friends, but they always had a sort of common understanding. But the blonde vampire hated the Wolves even more than she hated Bella Swan.

       It was starting to become unbearable really and everyone could see the temper rising within her. If she was going to make it through the wedding smoothly then she needed to get out, even just for a few minutes. It was a relief when Esme kindly pulled her aside to remind her that she was the only one of them allowed on LaPush territory.

       And it really was like a breath of fresh air when she jumped over the creek that separated the two sides. It was almost like a completely different world, one that should've been forbidden. Maisie could smell the wolves over everything, could practically see the thick clumps of fur that had shed onto the foliage.

       There was a beach she knew from listening to Bella's dul stories about visiting with her friends. It didn't take long before she could hear the violent rushing waters crashing against the sand, it was windy out. Something she hadn't noticed before standing before the beautiful water. Being completely immune to temperature was perhaps one of the best parts about being a vampire.

       Maisie kicked her shoes off and pulled off her socks, allowing her bare feet to sink into the damp sand. The texture felt strange under her skin, uncomfortable, but not unbearable so she stepped further out until the water which would likely be freezing to a human.

       She could remember, back when she and Penny were first changed and going through the stress and pressure of being a Newborn, they spent a lot of time on a beach. They had never gone swimming before then, and despite being immune to drowning the two girls insisted that Carlisle and Esme teach them how to swim. Anything to distract them from the burning in their throats and give them a sense of purpose. Penny would collect sea glass like an excited child, Maisie wondered if she still had the collection hidden somewhere in their home.

       "Didn't take you long to get out here."

       Maisie had been able to smell and hear him approaching minutes before he reached her but had chosen not to say anything. She didn't move from her spot staring out at the water and the darkening sky as darkness began to settle upon them. She could hear Paul kicking off his own shoes and coming to stand beside her.