2.13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN WHAT'S IMPORTANT

***

PAUL WAS SILENT THE ENTIRE WALK TO THE BEACH.

He had changed as quickly as possible, only pulling on a pair of cargo shorts before joining her back outside. Avoiding eye contact with his other pack mates while allowing her to wrap an arm around his shoulder. They walked at a leisurely pace, something that normally would have bothered Maisie but now all she could focus on was the quiet man leaning against her. 

Their little section of the beach was deserted by the time they reached the water, and she sat down in the sand careful not to let go of him. Once they were in a comfortable position Maisie began threading her fingers through Paul's short black hair. He immediately relaxed at her touch and closed his eyes, nudging his head into her hand. 

"You wanna tell me what happened back there?" Maisie asked softly, he tensed at her sudden words but was quick to relax.

"I-" Paul's voice was thick with emotion and he pulled away from her touch in order to properly face her, "Jacob's been getting on my nerves since Bella's wedding, he-he started saying things about you and I just snapped. I couldn't hold it in any longer."

"What was he saying about me?"

Paul's tanned skin flushed, either in frustration or embarrassment she couldn't tell, "He insinuated some things about you."

Maisie quirked an eyebrow interest peaking, "What kind of things?"

"He pointed out how close you are with that blonde, Jasper. Suggested that maybe you were closer than just friends-"

"Paul," Maisie had heard enough, reaching over to cup his face in between her cold hands, "Paul I am not in any sort of relationship with Jasper, or anyone else."

"I know that-"

"Do you?"

Paul stared at her for a minute his blush intensifying, "I might have gotten a little jealous when I saw you talking to some of the others at the wedding..." he explained, "You're just so close with all of them, Edward, Jasper, that big one. And why would you possibly want to be with me when you're constantly surrounded by them."

Maisie resisted the urge to gag at even the mere idea of being romantic with any of them (...especially Edward), instead she leaned forward to lean her forward against Paul's, "Because I love you, I've been waiting decades to find someone like you. Never in my entire life, human or immortal have I been so lucky."